Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 06 Grand Caravan SXT sliding door is "skipping"

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 03:55 AM
bkolin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Grand Caravan SXT sliding door is "skipping"

I've had a rough time with the doors on this van. I've replaced both lock actuators myself and fixed a couple of broken wires in the looms inside the plastic chains.

My problem now is that when the passenger side sliding door is all the way open, attempting to close it via the fob or internal buttons causes it to fail to engage properly, skipping, stuttering, and generally sounding like a machine gun until someone grabs the handle manually to stop it.

I suspect that either something has a worn or broken gear, or that some cable tension needs to be adjusted.

I can post pics or a video if it helps. I am pretty comfortable with the internals of these doors and I follow instructions well, so if you have things for me to try or links to read, just send them my way. Thanks!

Old 01-05-2015, 02:32 PM
bkolin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, if I am unable to fix this myself, would a body shop be preferable to the dealer? I should be able to handle it unless something major or heavy is wrong. If the door needs to come off, for example, I will probably want to call in the pros - either body shop or dealer.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:08 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

No body shop. Your dealership should have plenty of experience with sliding door repair. We do tons and tons of it.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:11 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bkolin
I've had a rough time with the doors on this van. I've replaced both lock actuators myself and fixed a couple of broken wires in the looms inside the plastic chains.

My problem now is that when the passenger side sliding door is all the way open, attempting to close it via the fob or internal buttons causes it to fail to engage properly, skipping, stuttering, and generally sounding like a machine gun until someone grabs the handle manually to stop it.

I suspect that either something has a worn or broken gear, or that some cable tension needs to be adjusted.

I can post pics or a video if it helps. I am pretty comfortable with the internals of these doors and I follow instructions well, so if you have things for me to try or links to read, just send them my way. Thanks!
There is section in the Service Manual for sliding door adjustments. A dealer would be better able to pinpoint what specifically applies to your sliding door issue. It states, if a problem exists with the power sliding door and it is suspected to be extreme effort, check for proper door alignment and adjustment first, then check the door tracks and drive unit for free manual operation. (Refer to 23 - Body/Doors - Sliding/DOOR, Sliding - Adjustments) for detailed instructions.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 06 Grand Caravan SXT sliding door is "skipping"