Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Misfire detected in multiple cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 07:03 PM
fduraibi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Misfire detected in multiple cylinders

Hi all,

I have a 2005 Grand Caravan 3.8L. The van started acting up sometime ago specially when trying to accelerate or driving uphill and the check engine came up with P300 code. I replaced the spark plugs and the wires and the code never came back and it was good for about a week but then it started acting up again like before! However, this time with no check engine/codes.

I found a number old threads and webpages with similar problem but with different resolutions from simply replacing a spark plug to changing the manifold gasket or a broken valve spring!

So what are the things that I can check/change to fix/diagnose the problem before needing a real mechanic?

I thought about replacing the ignition coil pack (~$30) but wanted to ask first before wasting money.

Last edited by fduraibi; 03-16-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:55 PM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fduraibi
.... The van started acting up sometime ago ...
So exactly how long ago did the poor running start? If enough raw gas gets sent down into the cat as a result of misfiring, it eventually will get trashed out. You could test for a plugged cat by temporarily pulling the upstream O2 sensor to see if it runs better with some of the exhaust going out the O2 sensor port.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:41 AM
fduraibi

Originally Posted by cv2003
So exactly how long ago did the poor running start? If enough raw gas gets sent down into the cat as a result of misfiring, it eventually will get trashed out. You could test for a plugged cat by temporarily pulling the upstream O2 sensor to see if it runs better with some of the exhaust going out the O2 sensor port.
I would say at least 5 months since it started this. I was aware and worried about the cat but didn't have money to fix. But would a plugged cat effect the car acceleration only? since when on highways (and constant speeds) the car drives smooth and with good MPG.

But I am going to check the O2 sensor and let you know the result.

BTW, using a simple OBD2 reader the cat passes the test and I don't get any error codes.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:43 PM
fduraibi
Default Problem Solved

It was a faulty ignition coil, I got one from ebay for ~$30 (mopar) and installed it myself and the car now runs great.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Misfire detected in multiple cylinders