Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[General]: Dodge Caravan Intermittently Stalls

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 06:56 PM
galwaygirlatheart
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Caravan Intermittently Stalls

I have a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan. It was having trouble starting. Then it would start and stall. Had a tune up done. The starting problem seems to be fixed but now it's stalling at traffic lights, stop signs and when your coming off an exit ramp. The dash still has power, radio works but the engine's off. Had the cam shaft sensor replaced it still stalled. My husband pressed the brake and gas at the same time to see if that would do anything and it finally threw a code. (P2122 and P2127 they both say throttle/Pedal pos sens). It's been at the dealer since last thursday. They replaced the throttle body this morning but it ended up worse before it finally drove normal and then stalled again. They've checked the throttle body, throttle body sensor, the new plugs and wires from the tune up, the APPS, and a multitude of other things. We suggested it could be because of the WIN module (it's on recall right now) but they said it wasn't mimicking those symptoms. They now think it's an electrical problem but are stumped as to what it is. They have a call in to Chrysler for help but haven't heard back yet. I'm at my wit's end with this whole situation and am on my third week without my vehicle! Any help would be so appreciated!

Old 05-14-2015, 12:38 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not much use to you right now but there is an ongoing NHTSA investigation into the TIPM causing several problems including stalling on 2008-2012 Grand Caravans and other Chrysler models. Just in case, the TIPM is your fuse box.

Report Date : May 14, 2015 at 12:36 AM
NHTSA Action Number : DP14004

NHTSA Action Number : DP14004 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
CHRYSLER / TOWN AND COUNTRY 2008-2014
DODGE / CARAVAN 2008-2012
DODGE / DURANGO 2011-2013
DODGE / GRAND CARAVAN 2008-2014
DODGE / JOURNEY 2008-2010
DODGE / JOURNEY AWD 2009-2010
DODGE / NITRO 2007-2012
DODGE / NITRO 4X2 2007 2009
DODGE / NITRO 4X4 2007 2009
DODGE / RAM 1500 2009-2012
DODGE / RAM 2500 2010-2012
DODGE / RAM 3500 2010-2012
DODGE / RAM 4500 2011-2012
DODGE / RAM 5500 2011-2012
JEEP / GRAND CHEROKEE 2011-2013
JEEP / LIBERTY 2007-2012
JEEP / WRANGLER 2007-2014
JEEP / WRANGLER 2-DR 4X4 2007-2009
JEEP / WRANGLER 2-DR 4X4 RHD 2007-2009
JEEP / WRANGLER 4-DR 4X2 2007-2009
JEEP / WRANGLER 4-DR 4X4 2007-2009
JEEP / WRANGLER 4-DR 4X4 RHD 2009
JEEP / WRANGLER SAHARA 2007
JEEP / WRANGLER X RHD 4X4 2007
Manufacturer(s) :
Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Component(s) :
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Date Investigation Opened : September 25, 2014
Date Investigation Closed : Open
Summary:
In a letter dated August 21, 2014, the Center for Auto Safety (CAS) petitioned the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to initiate a defect investigation into failures associated with the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) installed in Chrysler SUVs, trucks, and vans beginning in the 2007 model year. The CAS alleges that TIPM failures have resulted in incidents of engine stall; airbag non-deployment; random horn, headlight, taillight, door lock, instrument panel and windshield wiper activity; failure of fuel pump shutoff resulting in unintended acceleration; and fires. The petition includes a list of 70 complaints received by CAS that are allegedly related to Chrysler TIPM failures. The petition references a class action lawsuit regarding TIPM7 module failure and 63 of the CAS complaints relate to vehicles equipped with TIPM7 body control modules (1 complaint involves a vehicle equipped with a TIPM6 module and 6 complaints involve vehicles that were not equipped with TIPM modules). This defect petition review will focus on vehicles equipped with TIPM7 modules. Preliminary analysis of the 63 CAS complaints related to TIPM7 equipped vehicles identified 51 reports alleging incidents of engine stall (17) or no-start (34). Three complaints reported incidents of smoke (2) or fire (1). None of the reports provided alleged TIPM failures resulting in airbag non-deployment or unintended acceleration and none of the complaints alleged a crash. In a supplement to the petition, CAS identified 24 crashes from NHTSA's Early Warning Reporting (EWR) database that it believes may be related to TIPM failure and requested that NHTSA review these as part of its petition evaluation. In a September 3, 2014 letter, Chrysler Group LLC notified NHTSA of a safety defect in the Totally Integrated Power Module-7 (TIPM 7) in approximately 188,723 MY 2011 Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles equipped with 3.6L and 5.7L engines (Recall 14V-530). According to Chrysler, some Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango vehicles may experience a failure in the fuel pump relay within the TIPM which can result in a no-start or stall condition. Thirty-six (36) of the complaints submitted with the petition involve MY 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango vehicles equipped with 3.6L and 5.7L engines. The petition will be evaluated for a grant or deny decision. A copy of the petition will be placed in the public file (NHTSA Ref. No. 10637920).

Last edited by Cougar41; 05-14-2015 at 12:44 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:49 AM
galwaygirlatheart

Update on the Van. It's now been at the dealership for three weeks. They did the ignition switch recall, checked EVERY wire and every sensor. It threw a code for a MAP sensor. They put one in, it still stalled. They decided it was the TIPM, put one in. It's stalling more now than ever. I'm going on 6 weeks without my vehicle. It doesn't qualify for the lemon law, the dealership I bought it from can't help. I'm at a loss. ANY advice or ideas would be SO appreciated! Thank you!

Old 05-14-2020, 07:32 AM
Temur Tavkhelidze
Default Same problem on dodge grand caravan 2012.

I have the same problem on my 2012 dodge grand caravan 3.6. Engine stalls when hot on brakes. On traffic lights and stop signs. Its been 2 month and at least 5 different mechanics but still no progress. Did you fixed yours?

Old 08-23-2021, 07:26 PM
Dodge14depressed
Default 2014 Grand Caravan SXT stalls at stops

For anyone having this issue of your grand caravan stalling I finally got a resolution. Just a back story of my frustration. I bought this van in April 2021 with 111,000 miles at a Autonation Volvo dealer in San Jose. From the start it had issues which I brought to the salesman’s attention. Luckily they provided a 3 month/6,000 mile extended warranty because things started happening soon after I took it off the lot. You say why didn’t I return it. Well I really liked this van. Perfect interior and exterior just high miles but not really for a 2014 model. Any hoot 2 days after I got it I took it back to fix a clicking noise coming from the dash. It ended up being the vent actuators. Funny because when I told the salesman he said there mechanic said it was something they noticed but it would not mechanically affect the performance. OK…that wasn’t the point. It was not suppose to make that noise. Anyway they fixed weeks later and i picked it up and went on my way. Then I started hearing a clicking from the engine. Took it in again and they couldn’t figure it out at the Volvo dealer. Ended up taking it to a Dodge dealer near me and they diagnosed two bad cams which thank God were covered under the warranty. That was fixed. Once I got the van back I noticed the van turning off at stops. I ended up taking it back three times to try to figure out the issue. At this point I hadn’t driven the car 3-4 times since I bought it, since it was in the shop(s) from day 1. The mechanic finally isolated the issue to the tranny. It was one of 3 things:
-pump which is inside the tranny
-torque converter between engine and tranny or
-valve body inside the tranny
The resolution is that it is cheaper to replace the tranny rather than fixing one or the other and having to tear the tranny down again and again. So I bought the van in April and finally in Aug I have my van back. Yes, replacing the tranny fixed the issue. It was costly but I love the van. One thing I will mention is that the Dodge dealer did a great job. They noticed one thing, that the tranny oil was filled to the brim. The Dodge mechanic said the dealer (Autonation Volvo-San Jose) that sold the van knew about an issue and tried masking the problem long enough to let the warranty expire, in my case it did. For all of you with this issue I hope this helps with at least isolating the problem to the 3 things I mentioned above. You can decide how you want to proceed with your fix. I could have had them do the least expensive but figured just change out the tranny and get me back on the road. Thanks to David at Burlingame Dodge for all your help and patience. Good luck to all of you who are having similar issues.

Quick Reply: [General]: Dodge Caravan Intermittently Stalls