Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: changing from manual to power seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 04:54 PM
oregonguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing from manual to power seats

would like to know if the wiring harness under a manual driver seat will support a power seat. 2012 caravan se

Old 09-18-2015, 10:23 AM
_Tom
Thumbs up

my 2008 SE had all the wiring in place, it was a plug and play for me.

Look under the seat and see if you can find a big gray plug, it will have a thicker (can't remember - was it red?) wire to it as well as others.

I'd be surprised if they cut the wiring out with newer models... but I'm pretty sure you should be okay.

Old 10-17-2021, 08:21 PM
Neopit

I got the same issue: won't downshift manually. That killed my break when I down the hill because the engine brake was not used.

So, I decided to follow this proposal preparation. I am not a mechanism but it was straightforward. I removed the shifter and the wires were broken exactly at the same place mentioned above !! (follow instructions here - https://www.allpar.com/threads/2008-...repair.228827/)
It is not visible at first glance but the wire inside the insulation was broken. In fact, you can feel it when you play with the wire.

I bought a soldering iron and some wire. I placed a new wire around the place it was broken(I added 5 cm of wire) on each wire

I replaced the shifter, and boom I was able to downshift manually again!

Cost of the reparation: 7 dollars for the wire ( I got too much) and 30$ for the soldering iron that I own now!
Technically if you have the tools it is 1$ dollar fix!. You need just some time to do it. I am not an expert, it took me around 3 hours for doing it (I follow the instructions, played with the soldering iron).
If you have the habits to do some mechanism, it will take you around 2h or less

The garage asked me 800 dollars !!! So I am happy to do it myself and learn new stuff and near free.

If you get the problem and don't want to play (soldering) with the wire, broke something, whatever, .... here is the reference of the shifter. You have just to search on google: 1GJ35XDVAF. (or here an example _ https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...gj35xdvaf.html)

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: changing from manual to power seats