Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: 98 Caravan 3.3L having a "Transmission Issue"

Old 07-24-2015, 09:41 AM
rickybobby2189
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Caravan 3.3L having a "Transmission Issue"

I have a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L that is having a Transmission Issue. Ive done a few google searches on this particular problem and have found many very similar scenarios but none that matched mine.
When driving my Trans will jump into Limp Mode (Second Gear) and I can pull off the side of the road, turn the car off, start it right back up and it will go like nothing happened...Occasionaly it will do it again. I have been trying to take notice of when it happens and its so random I cannot figure out whats triggering it. The only thing Ive noticed is it typically happens under 40MPH. Sometimes its when you start to give it throttle around 25-40MPH almost like its confused what gear to go to and it triggers Limp Mode. It happens alot in stretches of road with heavy traffic and alot of Red Lights when your steady around 30mph. I'm starting to lean towards the "Speed Sensor" but at the same time I don't have a lot of money to just start throwing parts at it because I assume it may need it as I know the assume word will cost you lots of money playing mechanic.If anyone has had this problem and has sinced repaired it I would like to know what it was. If you could help I greatly appreciate it as this Van is my family's primary transportation. Thanks Very Much

Old 07-24-2015, 04:01 PM
tjnc
Professional

I've also owned a 98 with the 3.3 and 41TE.

I recommend swapping out the speed sensors and valve block with new ones and reporting back(around $300.00). If that doesn't work look into getting your computers updated. If that doesn't work it's trans. mechanical internals.

Mine actually had the same problem but with 1st and I just used Lucas and certified ATF+4(Autozone ATF+4).. Make sure to keep your filter kit maintained too. There is a plastic cylinder shaped part inside the 41TE that most commonly causes failure. There is a metal replacement.

Last edited by tjnc; 07-24-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:22 PM
rickybobby2189

Now that's one thing I forgot to mention. Back when this started a couple months ago I did change the fluid and replaced it with ATF4 and substituted a quart of tranny fluid for Lucas Transmission Fluid in hopes it would cure my problem. Needless to say that didn't fix it. I'm thinking the speed sensors given the scenario just a little unsure. I've also heard the Transmission Control Module could be at fault but there again that I don't know

Old 07-24-2015, 05:08 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No mention of a check engine lights or codes. Can we assume there are none?

Old 07-24-2015, 06:53 PM
rickybobby2189

Yes the "Engine Light" is illuminated and always has been the time I've owned it (2years) and as many miles was on it along with the age I didn't think they would be accurate.
I mean if it's something that will show exactly what my problem is I'll gladly go somewhere and get it scanned.
This Van is 17 years old with 254,xxx miles and I don't put much faith in a engine light at that point and as a matter fact I have a piece of black tape covering the light where you cannot even tell its on...I may be wrong there and want to look into it so if I am correct me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: 98 Caravan 3.3L having a "Transmission Issue"