Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Grand Caravan Numerous Issues (HVAC, Windows, Tranny)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 12:10 PM
Jfamily
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grand Caravan Numerous Issues (HVAC, Windows, Tranny)

Hello, love the forums here and found quite a lot of information. Problems I'm having:

1. Very low air from the front vents. Rear works fine, whether controlled from the front control panel or the manual controls in the back
2. Driver and Passenger windows do not roll up or down (On the driver side, I can get out, hit the button with my foot and shimmy the window down with my hands on each side).
3. Oil Leaks (have to add oil every 1-2 weeks)
4. Transmission Fluid Leaks (needs fluid weekly to bi-weekly)

I found in the DIY thread, lots of diagnostic steps for the HVAC system and I'll start working on that when my wife gets back from town. Once in a while, when I start the van up, it just starts blowing full blast and its amazing... That only happens once in a blue moon though and it's usually coincidentally on nice days and we don't really need it.

As far as the windows go, I've taken the door apart and can verify that the motors work as long as they aren't hooked up to the lift mechanism so they're just not strong enough to do the job. I'm assuming I'll need to replace those and I don't want to use used parts because they'll be that much closer to having the same issue. Anyone know where I can get new/certified parts for this vehicle?

As far as the leaks go, I'm sure there is a hose or something that needs replaced and while I'm out looking at the HVAC system, I'll check into that. I really just mentioned it hoping for some direction or if there is a possibility that it is something bigger (crack in the engine, etc).

The tranny leak was only noticed 2-3 months ago when the van started stalling when the engine was cool and we're going through our neighborhood at low speeds or through town during rush hour. Oil has been a fight since we got the vehicle around 2 years ago

Thank you so much, everyone here seems to be very helpful and I've learned alot already

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan (stow and go, automatic rear doors, digital HVAC controls)

Old 10-16-2015, 01:58 PM
Jfamily
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
First run the hvac system calibration which will test the actuators to make sure they are working. Here is the proceedure.

A/C-HEATER CONTROL CALIBRATION

The A/C-heater control module must be recalibrated each time an actuator motor or the A/C-heater control is replaced. If the vehicle is so equipped, the calibration procedure also includes rear HVAC positions for each actuator motor.
1. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. 2. If equipped with the manual temperature control (MTC) system, press and hold the Rear Wipe/Wash and Recirculation buttons for at least five seconds. If equipped with the automatic temperature control (ATC) systen, simultaneously press and hold the Power and Recirculation buttons on the A/C-heater control for at least five seconds. The MTC A/C-heater control Rear Wipe/Wash button light emitting diode (LED) and Recirculation button LED, or the ATC A/C-heater control Delay and Recirculation graphics will begin to flash when the calibration procedure has begun. 3. The calibration procedure should take less than two minutes to complete for the manual A/C-heater control, and less than twenty seconds for the ATC A/C-heater control. When the LEDs or graphics stop flashing, the calibration procedure is complete. 4. If the LEDs or graphics continue to flash beyond the two minute (manual) or twenty second (ATC) calibration time, it indicates that the A/C-heater control has detected a failure and a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) has been set. Refer to Body Diagnostic Procedures to perform further diagnosis. The LEDs or graphics will continue to flash even after the ignition switch is cycled Off and On, until a successful calibration is completed or until the vehicle has been driven about 13 kilometers (8 miles).
source: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...ml#post2745137

I followed those steps for the A/C and instead of reviving that post and having two active threads going for this, thought I would just post it here.

The diagnostics ran and found no fault. I could hear all of the motors moving around and after 20 seconds the diagnostic finished. Of course it did not fix the issue which makes sense being a diagnostics test only. So now I'm thinking that I need to replace the control board (on the console) I remember reading about this a long time ago on another forum perhaps. I do want to mention that there is a hissing noise that seems to come from the passenger floor board for about 1-2 minutes of the engine starting. I've already checked the freon levels and added a little bit (to the service port on the passenger side of the engine, never located the one on the drivers side) a couple of months ago, it didn't make a difference however.

So we're back to this again. If it is the control board, where is a good place to order new parts from or is there a chance autozone/o'reilly would carry these parts (dash control board for HVAC or window motors)?

Also want to mention, if we get up to highway speeds (60-80mph) the air does blow a bit stronger but it's still so weak that I can't tell if its actually heated or cooled air or if its just engine heated and it gives almost no relief because it's still not strong enough.

Edit: I found at dodgeparts.com what I believe is the correct part. I can't get a part # but the search query is:
W/auto temp control, All
Make: Dodge
Model: Caravan/Grand caravan
Model Year(s): 2005

That little guy is around $400 after the core return so I'd really not like to spend that money unless I can narrow it down to that. I'm finding that it may be the blower motor due to heavy rainfall and car washing which is considerably cheaper. I'm remembering now that my father-in-law looked at it once and said he thought it was the blower motor, can anyone confirm? Also, I found window motors on amazon for about $40 a piece (driver/passenger). About to crawl under the van and try to find these leaks.

Last edited by Jfamily; 10-16-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:20 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

How is the front Hvac fan speed? Because the resistor could cause the lack of air flow. And the transmission leak, you need to isolate the leak. Could be oil pan, hoses or the front transmission pump seal. The window regulator have been a problem for years. With the door panels off, tap the motors with a small hammer. If the windows roll down and up. Replace the regulators and motors.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Grand Caravan Numerous Issues (HVAC, Windows, Tranny)