Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 5th Gen reliability so far

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 05:40 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5th Gen reliability so far

I have heard a lot about erratic and harsh shifts concerning the 62TE with low mileage around 30K miles, but I haven't heard outright failures with these units. What is everyone's experience? Are these reliable transmissions (capable of reaching 200K miles with regular 30K transmission flushes with ATF+4 just like the 41TE before it) that just have a rougher shifts that have no real impact on long term reliability. Also, what is everyone's experience concerning how the 3.6L Pentastar V6 concerning reliability compared to the 3.3L/3.8L OHV V6 and the 4.0L SOHC V6?

Old 10-23-2015, 05:30 PM
04 Quadcab
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reliability

The tranny on my '13 has shifted wierdly for quite a few miles now. No sense going into all the stuff it was doing. I have 52K miles on the car, and finally she dealer went into it, after multiple reflashes failed to correct theprblems for more than a few thousand miles, and found that the torque converter was bad; said clutch material was throughout the whole transmission, so they did a complete rebluild. It is a lot better, and maybe is still "learning" because it seems to improve gradually every time it's driven. I still don't think it will ever be what I'd like, but I can live with its quirks.
As for the 3.6, absolutely no problems. It's the only car I've ever owned that uses zero oil, even after 6-7 thousand miles. Great motor; powerful and economical.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 5th Gen reliability so far