Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Oil leaking after oil change at Dodge dealership

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 09:07 PM
mcgusto
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Oil leaking after oil change at Dodge dealership

Hi all,
I took the van (15 R/T) in today for its 6th month or 15,000KM servicing (oil change, etc.)
Drove home (3km) and had dinner.
Went out a couple of hours later and a few minutes on the road, the engine light and low oil pressure indicators light up.
No gas station in site, but a Walmart 1km away. Stopped and checked the dip stick. No oil!?! Bought a quart of Penzoil 5w-20 synthetic and poured in.
Start van and low pressure oil indicator no longer appears (check engine light still showing). Drove home 4km away and as soon as I pull in, the low pressure indicator lights up.
Checked under the van, and oil is dripping, not to mention the puddle from when I parked earlier.

By the time morning comes, the van will be drained of oil so i'm going to have to get it towed to the dealer (2 year road side assistance in affect).
WTF? Did service forget or not tighten the oil plug or install wrong filter?
I’m taking back to the dealer first thing tomorrow, but man what a terrible experience!

Old 11-11-2015, 08:36 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Kinda hard to guess. You could look under and see where it's coming from. Hope you find out in the morning.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:49 AM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't want this to sound like a lecture, but it was a big mistake to continue driving when the oil light came on. Shut down immediately to minimize whatever damage is taking place. That said, the cause of this problem resides completely with the dealer.

You need to understand that significant damage MIGHT have been done to the engine. However, if it's currently running well, there is no reasonable way to determine exactly how much damage has been done internally and nothing should be done right now. It becomes a wait-and-see game, and it's one that you don't want to be on the losing end of.

IMO, the thing you need to get from this dealer right now is an extended warranty on the engine, at no cost to you. Figure out approximately how long you might want to keep the van, and also how much you would drive in that amount of time. Tell them you want an extended engine-only, non-deductible warranty for that number of miles.

When they say that can't be done, start the process of sending it up the corporate line. Leaving a filter/plug loose is a mistake that no competent shop should ever make, and they know it. They're also fully aware of what can happen when this mistake is made, and that they're fully responsible. This is a huge bargaining chip, and you need to take full advantage of it. Don't stop until you have a written extended warranty. Don't accept any non-written, verbal assurance from the dealer - that doesn't mean $hit.

If you push it hard enough (lawyer, court, yada, yada, yada), they will eventually give you the warranty and hope the engine will outlast whatever damage was done.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:14 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Mcgusto, Did you ever find out what the leak was coming from?

Old 11-13-2015, 11:54 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm very sorry to hear this, mcgusto. Where are you located? Any updates on this since the other day?

Old 11-15-2017, 08:55 PM
mcgusto
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys,
just going over my older posts and see that i haven't replied.
The issue was due to a faulty filter (as per the dealer@Cooksville Chrysler).
Van was towed using the Chrysler service, no additional charges.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Oil leaking after oil change at Dodge dealership