Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Gas over fill, fuel pump leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 04:32 PM
thememoryremains03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas over fill, fuel pump leak

I have a 1999 Dodge caravan 3.0. I know for a fact I overfilled the tank but only by about 20 cents coincidently enough also hit the passenger side off a light poll. Haven't driven it for days because I am leaking gas. I know it is leaking from the fuel pump. Prior to the overfill my van already hesitated to start but I don't think I was leaking gas. Didn't smell anything till after over fill. My question is... is this just from the over fill or maybe the poll? Is there an easily accessible pressure release/relief? How can I safely get the excess gasoline out of my tank? If repairs need done should I try to replace the seal first or just replace the pump? Should I also replace the fuel filter? Please only necessary repairs as I am on a very low and fixed budget but do need to drive a safe reliable vehicle.

Last edited by thememoryremains03; 02-28-2016 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:52 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

They had a recall for the gas tanks and fuel pump lock rings in 96-98. Doesn't mean the newer models were immune, they just lasted longer. The lock ring would warp and fuel would leak out when you filled it up. I would suggest a new lock ring and seal for starters. This would apply to the plastic lock ring, not the metal ones. If it's metal then just a seal.

Last edited by TNtech; 03-01-2016 at 11:54 AM.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Gas over fill, fuel pump leak