Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Alignment after new F struts - 2W OK? Cost est?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 06:26 PM
hobkirk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment after new F struts - 2W OK? Cost est?

I just put in new F struts (Monroe Quick, pre-assembled, $120 each), both F axles, new wheel bearing. Driving is SPOOKY!

Is just a front end alignment sufficient? And how much should an alignment cost?

THANKS

Old 02-29-2016, 08:32 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by hobkirk
I just put in new F struts (Monroe Quick, pre-assembled, $120 each), both F axles, new wheel bearing. Driving is SPOOKY!

Is just a front end alignment sufficient? And how much should an alignment cost?

THANKS
Did you have to disconnect the tie rods? Unless something was not installed correctly it should not affect drive ability that bad. An alignment may work or at least find out what is wrong.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:08 PM
hobkirk

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Did you have to disconnect the tie rods? Unless something was not installed correctly it should not affect drive ability that bad. An alignment may work or at least find out what is wrong.
No disconnect on tie rods or ball joints, although I did replace a wheel bearing.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:41 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

if you put in quick struts with new springs....you should get an alignment. Anytime ride height is changed....which it will after old saggy springs are replaced...the toe settings will change.

If you put the old springs back; it probably won't be out much as the lower bolts are splined and have no room for movement. the upper mount has a little room movement but not much. If you drive it and the steering is off-centered, its out. If you have new, good tires, get it done to save the tires from irregular wear.

Since the rear axle is a dead axle with no adjustments they should be charging you for a 2 wheel thrust alignment which is 1.5 hours. Do not get a 2 wheel alignment. a 4wheel alignment is 2.0 hrs.

a 2 wheel thrust alignment uses 4 wheel mounted heads. This measures the rear alignment angles and sets the front toe to match the rear thrust angle. 2 wheel alignments should never be done anymore as they set the front toe up to a geometric centerline. Problem being, if the thrust angle is not zero...the front toe won't be set up correctly.

Last edited by primem; 02-29-2016 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:48 AM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on how long you plan on keeping the car and how conveniently located a Firestone shop is to you, you might consider getting the Firestone lifetime alignment deal. I bought it 5 years ago for my van for about the cost of 2 alignments and I'm to the point where I just have them do an alignment whenever I bring it in for a tire rotation.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:01 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Firestone will also do an alignment check for free and tell you it needs to be aligned before doing anything to it. At this point, you need an alignment check.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:45 AM
hobkirk

Originally Posted by kuyabribri
Depending on how long you plan on keeping the car and how conveniently located a Firestone shop is to you, you might consider getting the Firestone lifetime alignment deal. I bought it 5 years ago for my van for about the cost of 2 alignments and I'm to the point where I just have them do an alignment whenever I bring it in for a tire rotation.
Interesting. $190 vs $80. Unfortunately the closest Firestone is too far away.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:50 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need an alignment. I did struts on mine and it took 1 trip to work and back (30mi) to destroy my front tires, as the new ride height up front from new struts threw the whole alignment out.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Alignment after new F struts - 2W OK? Cost est?