Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Grinding noise when pressing on accelerator

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 08:55 AM
T6954
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise when pressing on accelerator

Hi,
I just bought a preowned 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT and had a repurchase inspection done and all was fine the only thing that showed up was a minor leak in the transmission pan.
Now we are hearing a grinding type noise only when we press on the accelerator. When we let off the gas pedal it disappears. It also seems and feels like the noise is worse on the passenger front side of the vehicle. It seems to be the worst at city speeds and tends to go away at highway speeds. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with brakes as there is no noise when you brake.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:59 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by T6954
Hi,
I just bought a preowned 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT and had a repurchase inspection done and all was fine the only thing that showed up was a minor leak in the transmission pan.
Now we are hearing a grinding type noise only when we press on the accelerator. When we let off the gas pedal it disappears. It also seems and feels like the noise is worse on the passenger front side of the vehicle. It seems to be the worst at city speeds and tends to go away at highway speeds. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with brakes as there is no noise when you brake.
Possibly a bad CV joint or wheel bearing. Pull the wheel off and inspect. Welcome to the forum.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:02 AM
T6954

Thanks I will look into that. However we had CV joint issues with other vehicles before and doesn't seem to be the same kind of noise.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:22 AM
T6954
Default jkeaton - Not CV joint of wheel bearing

Hi it is not the CV joint or wheel bearing is it anything else you can think of?

Old 03-12-2016, 11:07 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Does it do it while sitting still or only when driving?

Old 03-14-2016, 02:55 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not sure how long ago you purchased this vehicle, or where you purchased it from, but have you contacted the seller and/or dealership?

Old 02-29-2020, 06:13 PM
R. Lovins
Default I have the Same problem

Originally Posted by T6954
Hi it is not the CV joint or wheel bearing is it anything else you can think of?
I have an 08 Dodge grand Caravan I just purchased did you figure out what it was that was making the noise mine does the same thing when I come to a stop and then I go to take off grinding noise sounds like it’s coming under Neath the pedal goes away after I takeoff seems pretty quick

Old 04-18-2021, 08:22 PM
Robert M. Stewart
Default I have 2009 3.3SE that just started doing this grinding noise too!

Did you ever find what it was? I have the same issue with my 3.3SE. I replaced the cv axle but did not change anything.

I searched the Internet but have yet to find anyone with a solution?

My next thoughts were the hub assembly’s.

Originally Posted by R. Lovins
I have an 08 Dodge grand Caravan I just purchased did you figure out what it was that was making the noise mine does the same thing when I come to a stop and then I go to take off grinding noise sounds like it’s coming under Neath the pedal goes away after I takeoff seems pretty quick

Old 10-17-2023, 06:12 PM
Robert M. Stewart
Default 2009 DGC 3.3SE grinding sound from acc pedal

so I have the same issue: hubs replaced, axels replaced, rotor and new pads, replaced.

Took it to a transmission shop, they had no idea. It shifts smoothly but only makes the noise w vibration directly behind the accelerator pedal.

no leaks of fluid, transmission fluid was replaced, filter replaced, oil & filter changed, I even tried various transmission lubricants but nothing has helped.

it only happens on hills and when I accelerate moderately, if I accelerate slowly it’s fine.

If anyone has uncovered anything let me know.

My transmission shop just said drive it until it stops working, but as far as I can see, transmission is fine it just makes this horrible noise when I accelerate.

Thanks in advance!

Robert
LA, CA

Originally Posted by Robert M. Stewart
Did you ever find what it was? I have the same issue with my 3.3SE. I replaced the cv axle but did not change anything.

I searched the Internet but have yet to find anyone with a solution?

My next thoughts were the hub assembly’s.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Grinding noise when pressing on accelerator