Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: how do you work the locks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 10:32 AM
ajdragon
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you work the locks?

Hi

I have no user manual so I have no idea how the locks are suppose to work without the remote. I turn the key counter clock wise and unlock the door but as soon as the key is strait up and down the door locks it self again. Some times if I turn the key really quick it will let me unlock just the drivers door. Some time if I hold the key in the unlock position for a few seconds it will unlock all the doors, but not always. It's like this van is playing games with me and no sooner do I think I have the hang of things it decides to change the rules.

So if anyone has any info on how the locks are suppose to work could you let me know please?

Old 06-13-2016, 11:23 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Please add your vehicle specifics so we know what we are dealing with.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:03 PM
ajdragon
Amateur

Hi

It's a 1999 Grand Caravan XL with 3.3L.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:55 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Here's a link to purchase an owners manual for cheap. If no one answers you for this issue, it's probably a good idea to buy one to familiarize yourself with the vehicle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Dodge-C...pXCu2r&vxp=mtr

Old 08-05-2016, 09:26 PM
ajdragon
Amateur

Hi

Well I got a manual from the wrecking yard, and according the manual the drivers side lock is not doing what it should be doing. The passenger side lock and the rear hatch lock work the way they are supposed too. Now I have to figure out how to fix the driver side lock, anyone have any tips on doing that. Just so you know the problem is that the lock locks it self back up as soon as I unlock the door. Once in a blue moon it will work right.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:42 AM
zoocrewphoto

Sounds similar to what my 97 caravan does. To make things worse, if all the doors are not unlocked, the alarm will go off when we try to start the engine. Never solved it, just considered it a mental issue. I unlock the driver door with the metal key. Then I use the clicker to unlock all the other doors. With our van, the clicker will NOT unlock the driver door. And the metal key no longer opens all the doors. If I use it on the passenger side, it will open all but the driver door.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:41 AM
ajdragon
Amateur

Hi

A update, I did figure out the problem, all I needed to do was reset the system by disconnecting the battery completely and then running a wire from the positive battery cable to the negative battery cable for a few minutes. This also resets all of the error codes and the check engine light.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: how do you work the locks?