Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Shift lever fell off, key gets stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 01:46 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shift lever fell off, key gets stuck

Well, I can remove my key if I reach under the steering column and flip the key lock manually, but I still need to replace my shift lever which inexplicably just fell off one day when I was leaving the dentists office.

The question is, how do I remove the old one and replace it? is it just the two large torx screws holding it in?

Also is there a diagram of how the key lock works because both of these things broke at the same time, except there is no reason that the key lock should've broken or stopped working just because the shifter handle fell off. I can still change gears if i stick the shifter back into it's mount.

BUT, because the key lock is "broken" I can also shift into gear without stepping on the pedal... basically any time.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:21 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I got it figured out, hit up the wreckers today and it's fairly kind of simple. It's only 3 torx bolts that hold the shift lever on the steering column. With a small enough ratchet it'll fit between the dashboard and the bolts, but I did have to sort of rip off the padding and cover from an otherwise good dash at the wreckers so I could fit my ratchet in there.

My key is getting stuck because the solenoid wasn't plugged in. So once I replace this shift lever I should be able to remove and use my key normally again lol.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Shift lever fell off, key gets stuck