Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Someone needs to die... (Rant)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 11:50 PM
Suzonda
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone needs to die... (Rant)

After THREE BLEEPing months of agonizing rigging I've finally decided I need to murder the Chrysler Electrical Designer. Hear me out though! This is a '03 Caravan SXT w/ the 3.3.

It all started when I went to get an engine for my Nash back in late April. The previous day not a single thing was wrong, trailer hitch was just wired in by by brother, and trailer was all hooked up. After I got the engine loaded I started the van, put it in drive and the speedo started twitching like a geiger counter dead smack in spook central in Chernobyl. Also noticed my rear left lights weren't working. I tested every possible connector and light that I could think of that was part of the system and here's what didn't work:

- Left Turn (Rear Bulb Only) (Separate Brake & Turn Bulbs)
- Rear Left Brake
- Speedometer (No Tachometer)
- Left side of Gage Cluster
- Radio
- Accessory Ports (2 front, 4 rear, one under rear bumper)
- Front dome lights
- Wipers were intermittent
- Hazards (never bothered to check till the day it was fixed)
- Blower Motor (Nothing to do with it. Was vent selector jamming up the squirrel cage)

So after a couple weeks of dealing with this I paid the $230 for a BCM (Not worth the labor to replace the bastard...) popped that in, and. . . . Yep! You guess it! Nothing worked! At this point I've already busted the lower dash out out of pure rage. 2 weeks ago I noticed the lights on the trailer weren't working when I hauled my '92 Dakota behind it. Got on my knees and noticed the harness was welded right to the tail pipe. (WELL WHOOPDIE ****ING DEE!!!) Spent all of 5 minutes on the repair, got the lights hooked up, hit the hazards, then crickets. (MOTHER**** OF GOD WHY IS LIFE SO CRUEL TO ME?!)

So I popped the hood and checked the fuse. A single tiny lil' 15amp fuse was not made to run SOOOOOO many things in one shot. Replaced it with a 25a Smart-Fuse (It glows when it blows!) and magically everything that wasn't working is suddenly working.

So is my want to mortally maim warranted or justified? Leave your comments below!

Now before all you haters start saying "Well that can't happen! It hasn't happened to me so it's impossible"... just because something hasn't happened to you personally doesn't mean it can't actually happen in reality.
Billions of Chrysler products on the roads means Quadrillions of things that can go wrong across each individual one.

Attached Thumbnails Someone needs to die... (Rant)-0802160737.jpg  
Old 08-11-2016, 01:37 AM
offgas
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you saying all this was caused by faulty trailer light wiring installation?

Old 08-11-2016, 04:16 AM
Suzonda
Rookie

I'm saying exactly as the thread title days. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:48 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzonda
I'm saying exactly as the thread title days. Nothing more, nothing less.
In that case, not touching this with a 2500 mile pole.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:56 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Well at least you fixed the melted wires that caused the whole thing to begin with. Factory equipped wiring harness?

Old 08-12-2016, 01:24 PM
Suzonda
Rookie

Installed professionally by my brother who works at Alcom trailers. But the point is why would someone tap all that crap into a single circuit w/o being declared illegally insane?

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Someone needs to die... (Rant)