Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 3.8 Grand Caravan Stutter/Jerk

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 10:49 AM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the injector wiring harness for melting. You will need to lift the power steering reservoir up, remove the covering from the bundle, and check each wire individually and completely for melted insulation.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:13 PM
mderieux
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I have done that.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:19 AM
cv2003
Veteran

Originally Posted by mderieux
Yes I have done that.
Not wanting to sound obnoxious or redundant here, but I don't know what you did or didn't do, so I'm going to ask again. Did you unwrap the entire injector bundle, and carefully examine each wire for it's entire length?

The reason I'm harping on this is that there have been MANY instances where people say they checked those wires. But when asked to do another detail check, they find something that was melted. This is so common on the early gen 4 that it's always the first suspect for any performance issue. And this problem often doesn't even set a code, so the P0202 is like it's waving a red flag.

But if you have completely examined each wire, I suppose it could be caused by a bad injector. My money is on the melted wires.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:36 AM
mderieux

Thank you for asking! Yes I removed the wrapping and examined each wire. I have been trying to find a noid kit but no one rents them around me. Trying to find one to very that is not the wiring harness.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:00 PM
mderieux

Here are all the crazy codes I am getting:
P0508 - Idle Air Control System Circuit Low
P0202 - Cylinder 2 Injector "A" Circuit
P0123 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "A" Circuit High
P0205 - Cylinder 5 Injector "A" Circuit
P1193 - Inlet Air Temperature Sensor High

I tested my Fuel Injector 2 & 5 using a light probe and a voltmeter. Both past their tests. There are no open circuits from the fuel injectors. I now need to remove the O2 Sensor next time I have the hood off. It may be a couple of days more.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:07 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the wiring at the throttle body as well.
The wiring around the TB usually hangs weird, which can cause broken wiring, which can cause all the codes you're seeing.
If that is all in good order, check your MAP, as I have had a bad MAP sensor cause the same issues. Been a few times it's been as simple as wiggling the plug for the MAP and the issues go away.
If none of that fixes it, I would look at the ECM again. Remember, just because it tests good doesn't mean it is.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:45 AM
cv2003
Veteran

Originally Posted by mderieux
... I now need to remove the O2 Sensor next time I have the hood off. ...
Frankly I'd say to skip removing the O2 sensor, at least for now. I suggested doing that test when you said there were no codes. But now, with all of those codes set, there is definitely something electrical going on, and you need to get that issue fixed first. I'd be going all in on the injector harness being melted, and now frying the PCM in the process. But you're saying that you completely separated and checked each wire, so I'm not going to continue beating that horse.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:25 PM
mderieux

Not only did I check it but I used a probe to look for open grounds on the injector control wires (I hope I said that right). But I'll check the rest if the harness down by the transmission.

Smokes- thanks! I'll check those too.

Last edited by mderieux; 09-20-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:30 PM
mderieux

FIXED!!! SOLUTION FOUND!! Almost a year later.

Ok so the van started to not shift and go into limp mode while my wife was visiting the in laws, and the check engine light went off. Codes were: P0700 - Transmission Control System Malfunction & P0613 - TCM Processor Fault.

The van has been still stuttering but we have been driving it because we need it. My wife had the van up at the in laws when the check engine light started going off. After I found out what the codes were I confused because I had put in a new TCM and a rebuilt transmission! Maybe the wiring I thought? So I had my wife take it to a mechanic.

Instead of addressing the transmission he addressed the stutter. The mechanic said the problem was the Ignition Coil! I couldn't believe it. I told him I tested the resistance and it matched all the right specs. He told me that the problem is when the coil pack gets hot. The heat affects how it works. I didn't believe him, but since I always had a feeling it had something to do with the coil pack I decided I might as well give it a shot. Since I was not there I had my father in law slap a new one in. A couple of hours later I got a phone call that the van was no longer stuttering and was shifting fine! My wife even took it on a long drive and had no signs! Needless to say I was shocked. BUT IT WORKED! And I am grateful. Spent all this money on the van when it was a simple coil pack. So moral of the story....don't always trust the resistance test on a coil pack!....???? Maybe?? And a faulty coil pack can affect shifting/transmission/stuttering in the engine.

Thoughts??

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 3.8 Grand Caravan Stutter/Jerk