Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2013 Caravan P306 error

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 06:44 AM
Mr.Bones
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2013 Caravan P306 error

Hello all,
A few months ago the engine light came on and when I hooked it up it said that it was an 02 sensor error. But after a few hours the light turned it self off. Last night when I was coming home from my sons hockey practice - the van started shuttering and shaking on acceleration and the engine light went on and off and the shaking would come and go. About a mile from home the light stayed on and when I checked it the error read P306 misfire cylinder 6. Could this mean that the catalytic converter is the culprit and needs to be replaced?
Any thoughts or helped is greatly appreciated. The van has 175k miles.
Rob

Old 01-27-2017, 08:23 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

no, not a cat.
have you ever changed the spark plugs?

p0306 is a cylinder 6 misfire.
start by swapping a spark plug with another cylinder. if the misfire follows the plug, the plug is bad. if the misfire stays on #6, swap the ignition coil.

if the misfire stays, do a compression check. if the compression is good, swap or change the injector.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:34 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 01-28-2017, 09:49 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It looks like it's time for a cylinder head. Typical symptoms will be a more pronounced misfire at idle. When you get off idle it will fade away. Check your warranty or I can check for you with the last 8 of your VIN.

Well, NM you have 175, the extension goes to 150K. Get someone competent to check it for you.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:13 AM
Mr.Bones

Appreciate the help and info - did what Primem suggested and sure enough it was the ignition coil. Swapped it from 6 to 1 and sure enough got a code that cylinder 1 had a misfire. Also did a compression check on 6 and it was good.
Swapped out all the plugs and obviously replaced the coil and it seems to have corrected the issue.
Thanks again for the help!
Rob

Old 09-07-2018, 05:37 PM
NeonDave
Default 2012 Caravan P0306

I have a 2012 Grand Caravan with a 3.6L flex fuel engine. I started getting a p0306 code several months ago. The vehicle had 70k miles on it. I took it to my mechanic and was told that the spark plug was bad. He suggested that all the plugs be replaced bring it was a labor intensive job to get to the spark plugs. Estimated price of $400 to change the spark plugs. No thank you. About a month later I did some research and decided to replace the plugs myself. Very easy job. Not worth $400. The van ran fine for several months. Then the light came back on. Same code. I wouldn’t say it’s rough running at idle but there is a tiny shake. Other then that, no performance issues. The light goes on and off intermintally. It will be off for a week then on for a day or two. The plugs I used where the OEM Iridium Champion plugs. Could it be a coil or an issue with the head? Thank you.
QUOTE=TNtech;3327498]It looks like it's time for a cylinder head. Typical symptoms will be a more pronounced misfire at idle. When you get off idle it will fade away. Check your warranty or I can check for you with the last 8 of your VIN.

Well, NM you have 175, the extension goes to 150K. Get someone competent to check it for you.[/QUOTE]