Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Mystery Dodge Caravan Overheat/Misfire??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 04:25 PM
Theresa Krenz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Dodge Caravan Overheat/Misfire??

Purchased a mystery caravan at auction, yet had carfax in hand and all looked good..no lights nothing thought I snagged an OK deal--driving home started to over heat, now just had the thermostat temp gauge changed(ha) I thought I was good to go--then engine light on Misfire code P303--had spark plugs changed --now I'm reading all about dodge extended warranty and how some engines are going bad and some not?? I read on carfax no changeover from the dealer as to left cylinder head taken car of because of possible engine glitch..on and on I could go had radiator flushed and Pink fluid all new --still overheats..almost to red and I have to stop and rethink game plan again--I'm reading more and more some dealers swap for people with this engine if all t's are crossed and all the dots match up(lucky buggers) so do I change out left cylinder head and think all is well and I will have no overheating ?? Yes I did look at water pump no leaking, noise , or weeping... Should I give that a whirl??? as another $$$bunch of bucks in the can--or do I shoot the caravan of camel poop and move on...any answers to my mystery van would be of help..it has 112,000 miles on it --and no warranty??? as i"m one of the multiple owners who gave up on the mystery van after probably trying to figure this puppy out !!! Anyone in Ga that does work on these and would give a decent price for fix--

Old 03-26-2017, 08:57 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Theresa Krenz
Purchased a mystery caravan at auction, yet had carfax in hand and all looked good..no lights nothing thought I snagged an OK deal--driving home started to over heat, now just had the thermostat temp gauge changed(ha) I thought I was good to go--then engine light on Misfire code P303--had spark plugs changed --now I'm reading all about dodge extended warranty and how some engines are going bad and some not?? I read on carfax no changeover from the dealer as to left cylinder head taken car of because of possible engine glitch..on and on I could go had radiator flushed and Pink fluid all new --still overheats..almost to red and I have to stop and rethink game plan again--I'm reading more and more some dealers swap for people with this engine if all t's are crossed and all the dots match up(lucky buggers) so do I change out left cylinder head and think all is well and I will have no overheating ?? Yes I did look at water pump no leaking, noise , or weeping... Should I give that a whirl??? as another $$$bunch of bucks in the can--or do I shoot the caravan of camel poop and move on...any answers to my mystery van would be of help..it has 112,000 miles on it --and no warranty??? as i"m one of the multiple owners who gave up on the mystery van after probably trying to figure this puppy out !!! Anyone in Ga that does work on these and would give a decent price for fix--
And the biggest mysteries of all, what year and what engine?

Old 03-27-2017, 08:25 AM
Theresa Krenz

(Big Duh) Sorry-----------2012 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.6L 112,000

Old 03-27-2017, 08:34 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the misfire dtc and overheating could be unrelated. before you go full bore into head replacement, inspect the oil and coolant level and condition. Are the levels down. Is there any mixing of coolant and oil?

swap a spark plug and coil from cylinder 3 with another non misfiring cylinder. if the misfire now moves to the other cylinder, the problem is with the spark plug or coil pack.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:41 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I read on carfax no changeover from the dealer as to left cylinder head taken car of because of possible engine glitch"

Are you referring to the head extended warranty?

Last edited by Cougar41; 03-27-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:11 PM
Theresa Krenz

Yes---and i"m not on warranty program(boo)

Quick Reply: Mystery Dodge Caravan Overheat/Misfire??