Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Front exterior lighting issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Billy Bee
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front exterior lighting issue

2010 caravan, front end damage - bought this way. No auto headlights. Has fog lights. Headlight switch has OFF, PARKING, and ON, with push for FOG. Fog lights are not connected/installed. No aftermarket items I'm aware of.

I would like to verify that in PARKING only the turn signals and rear taillights should be on, not the low beams.

Issue: Lights in OFF position lights are off. Lights in Parking front parking lights not on, however, low beams are. Lights in ON, low and high beams on.

Testing: Lever on column forward does not turn on brights in any head light switch position (off, parking, always on in ON). Pull back lever for flash the high beams come on with switch in ON position. Custer shows high beams on with lever pushed or pulled. Cluster lights work. Swapped headlight switch and same thing. Swapped TIPM (my part says 2009 and ends in AE, the swapped part ended in AA) same problem. I can pull fuses for headlights and they go out. Same headlight bulbs for low and high beams. With switch unplugged both high and low beams on.

Work done: Cleaned several grounds - 2 next to each other on firewall behind battery, ground on frame in front of battery, ground under battery box/tipm. Disassembled switch and checked pins at switch. Jiggled wires and turned the switch and wiggled it. No change.

Im at a loss here. Very unlikely both TIPMs and switches had the same exact problem - used TIPM and new switch for testing. Tail lights come on in PARKING. As I'm aware the switch sends resistance values to the TIPM and it determines what to turn on. Are there any relays or just the TIPM? What to check next?