Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Disable/Toggle Autostick?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 01:01 PM
Jfamily
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable/Toggle Autostick?

Hey folks, I'm a big fan of the LH platform. Many of those cars had the autostick feature that works almost like my caravan - 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT.

Some pretty terrible things have happened to people that loaned out their cars to people that didn't understand the feature (drove around normally all day in 1st gear, and the car only shifts when red lined).

Well my wife told me the other day that when she left the gas station to drive home, she pulled into the driveway, and noticed the cluster said she was in 1st (just say's 'D' unless you enable it), which means she drove from the gas station to our house (fortunately a short distance, and couldn't have gone more than 30) in 1st gear.

I asked if she was joking, and she assured me that she was not.

So, I am wondering if any clever soul has found a way to add a toggle switch? I don't want to turn it off completely because I understand how to drive a stick, but I want to make sure she doesn't have to worry about it.

Wrapped in code tags below is the procedure I would follow for an LH vehicle. Which I could probably translate to work in the van, but the difference between the two vehicles is how you enable 'autostick' which kind of makes that procedure not applicable as far as I can tell:

LH How to Enable Autostick:
1. Move shifter from 'D' to 'autostick' position
2. Rock from left to right to down/upshift respectively.

DGC Enable Autostick:
1. Rock to the left to enable while in Drive

As far as I can figure out, the only way to get out of Autostick in the GC is to move the shifter up to Neutral, and back to Drive. I would like to add a switch that I can just leave off unless I'm driving which makes nothing happen if she accidentally bumps the shifter.

She's a perfectly intelligent lady, she just doesn't pay much attention to the instrument cluster...

Code:
“Valet” Switch
Some people worry about leaving their car for service or loaning it to a friend or relative, concerned that the driver might knowingly or inadvertently put the shifter in autostick and drive without manually shifting, resulting in unnecessary wear and tear on the engine. This How-To will give you a method of easily locking out the autostick function with a hidden toggle switch.

Required materials:
• Qty. 1 SPST toggle switch (SPDT or DPDT switch can be used)
• Qty. 3 to 6 feet (depending on switch location) 20 or 22 gage stranded wire
• Qty. 2 red T-taps and insulated crimp-on male spade lug connectors or other suitable means of splicing (see NOTE 1)
• Solder (63/37 tin/lead or equivalent, rosin core) as needed for connection of wires to switch

NOTE 1: If T-taps are used for connecting wires, the correct color of T-tap *must* be used to match the gage of the wire. For the autostick or Puttstick (see http://300mclub.org/forums/viewtopic...=20059&start=0) wires being connected to for this modification, the red T-taps must be used. Spade lugs must be properly crimped for a reliable connection.

NOTE 2: If a Puttstick is being or has been installed, the wires from the toggle switch can be tapped or spliced into the orange and black (or green) wires of the Puttstick cable instead of the autostick wires at the back of the shifter in the below instruction steps - steps 2 and 10 would be skipped, and the orange and black (or green) wires of the Puttstick would be substituted for the light green/red and black autostick wires were mentioned.

1. Decide where to mount the toggle switch so that it is somewhat hidden but easily accessible.

2. Remove gear shift **** (single allen screw facing forward - loosen enough for tip of allen screw to clear hole in shifter plus 1/2 to 1 turn) and shifter bezel.

3. Locate the light green/red and black wires at the back of the shifter (coming from the autostick hall effect sensor module connector).

4. Determine the minimum length the two wires need to be to reach from the toggle switch location to the autostick wires routed over a safe path. 

5. Cut two lengths of wires at least as long as the length determined in step 4., and solder them to the toggle switch terminals.

6. Mount the toggle switch.

7. Route the wires as need to reach the autostick wires.

8. Cut excess length off of the toggle switch wires, and splice them into the light green/red and black autostick wires (doesn't matter which toggle switch wire goes to which autostick wire) using the T-taps and spade lug connectors or other reliable method of choice.

9. Secure the toggle switch wires as needed using wire ties.

10. Reinstall the gear shift bezel and ****. Be sure that the **** is located (height and rotation) such that the tip of the allen screw goes into the locating hole on the shifter - tighten allen screw snuggly.

11. Test the valet switch.

Operation of the autostick valet switch:
When driving in valet mode (the valet switch on and the shifter in autostick), the transmission will operate just as if the shifter were in the 'D' position. The first time thru the gears when in valet mode, the instrument cluster gear indicator will indicate the individual gear until the transmission reaches 4th gear. Upon reaching 4th gear, the gear indicator will switch to 'D' and stay there. If the shifter is moved out of and then back into autostick with the valet switch on, the gear indication cycle will repeat. Once in valet mode, the valet mode will remain in effect even if the valet switch is turned off, *unless/until* the shifter is moved out of and then back into the autostick position with the valet switch turned off.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:33 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfamily
...As far as I can figure out, the only way to get out of Autostick in the GC is to move the shifter up to Neutral, and back to Drive...
If you hold the shifter to the right it will go back into Drive.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:24 PM
georgef
Veteran

Here's some information that may help you to disable the autostick.

Picture of shifter connector:

You should be able to access the wires going to that connector from under the dash after removing the plastic panel. You can find instructions for removing the panel about half way down the page here: http://www.allpar.com/model/m/shifter-fix.html

When the wire in the shifter that is feed by the YL/DG wire broke, I was not able to use the autoshift, so I believe you should be able to put a switch on that wire.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...-manually.html

Old 04-21-2017, 02:33 PM
Jfamily
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Excellent info, thank you! I should be able to work something out with this knowledge!

When you were fixing your cables, did you find a better way to route them to prevent future breakdown, or just plan on fixing it every few years?

Thanks George!

Last edited by Jfamily; 04-21-2017 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Actually read the referenced posts
Old 04-21-2017, 09:11 PM
georgef
Veteran

...When you were fixing your cables, did you find a better way to route them to prevent future breakdown...
I extended the cable slightly and formed a loop around the wire guide.

Thanks George!
You're welcome.

There are two website I find useful for wiring issues, they are:

http://connectors.dcctools.com/home.htm for information about connectors and their wiring.

and

http://www.bbbind.com/tech_database.html for free wiring diagrams and Technical Service Bulletins.

Last edited by georgef; 04-21-2017 at 09:13 PM.