Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: acceleration problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 04:02 PM
plunges25
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default acceleration problem

any help any one can give me you be great. so here is the issue:
I have a 03 grand caravan and it has no acceleration. it feels like I am pulling something (which I am not). it seems to be worse the hotter the out side temp is. I have checked the engine codes and only have a p0135. again any help is appericated. I am not sure where to start if it a tranny problem or engine problem. Also not sure but from what i have scoured from the i ternet the flexplate could cause this problem. Is there any truth to this.

Last edited by plunges25; 05-23-2017 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Asd more info
Old 05-27-2017, 09:14 PM
mirageman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. P0135 is a o2 sensor heater malfunction. That means the heater in your o2 sensor is not working right, could be a bad o2 sensor, could be bad wiring to the o2 sensor. If your o2 sensor is not heated properly, your o2 sensor will not be reading the oxygen level correctly which means it cannot tell the computer how to adjust the air and fuel mixture correctly. I think this is your issue. No flexplate issue. First things first, unplug your o2 sensor and look at the connection. If connection looks good, your o2 sensor is probably bad. Even if it isn't bad, it certainly wouldn't hurt anything to get a new one and install it. Unplug the battery while you install it. That will reset your computer and it will learn pretty quickly to get the proper readings from the new o2 sensor. If you notice nothing different (which I doubt), a general tune up is probably in order, plugs, wires, cleaning the throttle body etc. A bottle of bg44k works wonders for cleaning out your injectors if you want. Good luck.