Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2007 SXT with Braun wheelchair ramp conversion, entry system issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 12:25 PM
Schrammbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 SXT with Braun wheelchair ramp conversion, entry system issues.

I'm not sure where to post this, so I apologize in advance if this is the incorrect forum. Anyways, I'll get right to it.
I have a 2007 Dodge Caravan SXT (3.6lt/130k miles) with a Braun Entervan wheelchair ramp conversion, passengers side. I usually do most of the service myself as getting a converted van like this one repaired is really expensive, and so far i've been pretty lucky repairing the various issues i've had over the years with the conversion. But this new issue is perplexing. I'll try my best to explain it here.

This started last week, when I press the button to open any of the power sliding doors, tailgate or even unlock the van the headlights lights do not respond and the doors do not unlock or open automatically. For instance; If the car is unlocked and I press the button to open either sliding door it will not do anything until I manually open another door like the passenger driver door. At which time the sliding door will open and the ramp will deploy automatically. Also, it will then respond to any additional commands from the key fob. If the doors are locked and I press any button on the keyfob it does not respond until I manually unlock the front driver-side door, at which time whatever button I pressed on the key fob will then activate that associated door.

So basically the van is receiving the command from the keyfob, and queuing it, although not flashing the lights in response to reception of the command, and once I manually interact with the van, it then processes that queued command automatically. And once it's processed the first command, everything works fine again until the van sits for more then about 10 minutes. Then it goes into unresponsive mode. That said, does that point anyone in a particular direction? I wonder if the OEM security system is causing issues some how or a faulty sensor, is there a way to fully reset any related onboard ECM's?

I replaced the batteries in the fob, and tried my backup fob no difference. I've also disconnected the battery, that seems to reset the system but after about 10 minutes it is unresponsive again. I don't want to tear into it without a bit of direction given how much additional electrical work has been done to this vehicle. But if anyone has any ideas on how to narrow down the issue that would be greatly appreciated.