Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: no sound from radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 03:58 PM
katamara
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no sound from radio

I just purchased a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan. It has a CD/casette radio, 6 dvd changer, roof mounted video screen w/remote, it also looks like there is a subwoofer in the rear of the car.

The radio and dvd player power up and display fine. It can tune to a radio station fine. But when you turn the volume up, you hear no sound. Not even a pop out of any speaker.

I have checked all fuses under the hood and all were good.

I have a friend who has an extra radio (it looks the same as mine) and I will try swapping that out, and seeing if that fixes the problem. But from all the reading I've done, I dont think it's the head unit. I've read many posts about it possibly being the amp.

Assuming the radio swap doesnt work, how can I test the amp? (I do not have a spare one to swap)

Old 11-27-2017, 01:23 PM
katamara

I tried swapping the radio with 2 other radios and neither was able to produce any sound. Any hints on how to test if I need to replace the amp?

Old 11-27-2017, 01:47 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 342 Likes on 305 Posts

Guess the same way you tested the radio. Swap it out with a known good one.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:23 PM
katamara

hmm, easier said than done. I havent been able to find one. Thank you for your help.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:32 PM
TRU
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They probably ran all the speakers through the amp like I used to have my setup. Check to see if the amp is getting power, and check the fuse on the amp. Also check the battery to see if you see the amp power wire running to the positive side. It's also possible that the amps power wire has a fuse connected through the line like mines.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:34 AM
katamara

Originally Posted by TRU
They probably ran all the speakers through the amp like I used to have my setup. Check to see if the amp is getting power, and check the fuse on the amp. Also check the battery to see if you see the amp power wire running to the positive side. It's also possible that the amps power wire has a fuse connected through the line like mines.
Thanks. Will check it out this weekend.