Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Exhaust Pipe Connector Gasket - 480.00 to replace ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018 | 08:36 PM
danacat
|
Rookie
Question Exhaust Pipe Connector Gasket - 480.00 to replace ???

Hi everyone, I have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan that has an Exhaust Pipe Connector Gasket going from the crossover (or under) exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold on the front side of the engine that needs to be replaced. Drove into the dealership, the guy writing the service order heard the odd noise, pinpointed half the gasket sticking out of the pipe connector (on the front side of the engine next to the manifold) where it should have been seated inside, went to find out an estimate to give me to replace it, and told me it would be about 480.00 IF they didn't break a bolt ????? If they broke a bolt it would be a lot more. I'm no expert, but I'm looking at the part thinking it's right there in plain view, there's two bolts to take it out, and a 14.00 gasket to swap out. This dealership has always done work on my vehicle, so I somewhat trust them. Am I missing something ??? Could the service write up guy have been mistaken ??? Is there something more to replacing that gasket, or can I do this myself in 10 minutes by removing two bolts ? I see the other end of the pipe goes behind the engine and connects again there by what looks like maybe two bolts, but I could see having to take a lot of stuff off to be able to reach those bolts. Can I just take the two front bolts off and have just enough play to pull out the old gasket and insert a new gasket, or would I have to take off the rear bolts off the other end of the pipe to get enough play to swap out the front gasket ?

Old 01-10-2018 | 07:21 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Yes. You can do it yourself or take it to any exhaust shop and get a second opinion.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Exhaust Pipe Connector Gasket - 480.00 to replace ???