Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2013 Grand Caravan RT Battery light on dash display going off and van dies

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 04:43 PM
Dennisdg00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2013 Grand Caravan RT Battery light on dash display going off and van dies

Drove the Van home the other night in severe rain storm but all was fine. Next Morning got up to snow and pushed the remote start to warm up. Van beeped horn twice but did not start.
Went out and heard a low humming/buzzing noise from front of van (Electric Fan maybe) and no power at all. Key fob would not unlock and had to use the Ekey in fob to get in. Single red light on dash
and inserted FOB and got nothing and FOB would not come out.

I attempted to jump start and would not start or turn over. Took the cables off battery and cleaned and tried to charge it for the day.
Next day went out and was able to hook up and battery and got van to start, but dash LCD display was flickering on and off. and had a battery light
on the dash. I used an ODB tool and find several codes for High voltage and cleared them and was showing 14 volts at the ECU and at the ODB reader.
Removed the external power and the van kept running and it seemed like the Alternator is putting out a charge but battery is not taking it. So thought battery was bad.

I tried to drive it up to the nearest Advanced Auto to get a battery but the Van went crazy. Dash display going on and off, engine would not go over 2000 RPM and Trans would
not up shift. It died on me with little to no power at a stop light and I was able to jump start it. I have a battery light and an Airbag light and not sure of any codes yet.
All these additional problems are indicating to me some kind of computer problem or a short and after reading some various threads I am wondering if I have a bad Alternator and/or battery
or some kind of computer issue (TIPM???)

If someone could point me in a direction for diagnosis or recommendations I would appreciate it. I am going to check the codes and various grounds and see if I can find an issue.

thank you in advance

Old 03-16-2018, 03:12 PM
Metallheadd
Amateur

My 2013 SE is doing weird stuff like that. Instrument cluster intermittent flickers battery light ect. My wife had autozone test the battery and they said it’s bad. The battery is 5 years old now I may just replace it to see if that helps.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:14 PM
Dennisdg00

MetallHeadd

Thank you. That is exactly what it turned out to be. I appreciate your response to me.

again thanks.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2013 Grand Caravan RT Battery light on dash display going off and van dies