Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2011 Grand Caravan no crank no start no gear selection (PRND) display

Old 04-01-2018, 11:00 PM
neejkoob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Grand Caravan no crank no start no gear selection (PRND) display

No crank no start on 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. No PRND (gear selection) display on instrument cluster. Reset instrument cluster no help. No error codes.

Anyone have this issue before? Causes? Fixes?

Thanks

Last edited by neejkoob; 04-01-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:25 PM
DGCaravan
Rookie

Originally Posted by neejkoob
No crank no start on 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. No PRND (gear selection) display on instrument cluster. Reset instrument cluster no help. No error codes.

Anyone have this issue before? Causes? Fixes?

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXvytIPD-hw

Check the alternator. It's a known issue with the Grand caravan Get rid of it if you can.

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...rnator-Failure

Old 04-25-2018, 05:12 PM
neejkoob

Update:
Turned out to be fuse M28 (PCM / Trans Feed) in fuse box.

As soon as I replaced the fuse, the car started up like normal but within a minute it smelled like burnt electronics from alternator. Battery warning light came on in dash and battery volts check with car running was at 11.6 volts.

Conclusion:
Alternator died or was about to die and tripped the fuse M28.

Fix:
Replaced fuse M28 in fuse box and replaced alternator. Now car is running as before with no issues.

Hope this helps someone down the road.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:43 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DGCaravan
Check the alternator. It's a known issue with the Grand caravan Get rid of it if you can.

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...rnator-Failure

Get rid of a van because of the alternator? Yeah OK...lol

You think the vendor who makes those alternators only makes them for Chrysler?

Last edited by TNtech; 04-25-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:22 PM
DGCaravan
Rookie

Originally Posted by TNtech
Get rid of a van because of the alternator? Yeah OK...lol

You think the vendor who makes those alternators only makes them for Chrysler?
That's not what I meant. Alternator is one of the known issues. Transmissions are failing on these vans before reaching 100k. My engine needed repair before reaching15k. Some of the vans have brakes that are under powered, you need to replace them frequently. Let me not bore you with other problems plaguing these vans.Just do a search and you'll find out for yourself.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:42 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DGCaravan
That's not what I meant. Alternator is one of the known issues. Transmissions are failing on these vans before reaching 100k. My engine needed repair before reaching15k. Some of the vans have brakes that are under powered, you need to replace them frequently. Let me not bore you with other problems plaguing these vans.Just do a search and you'll find out for yourself.
I work on them every day. I don't see a "plague" of anything. Tons of fleet vans with well over 200K. Yeah, they have vendor issues with some things and the Pentastar screw up with the valve seats, but they also extended the warranty on the van heads to 150K. If you had any repairs done under warranty....well that's what warranty is for.

I have no brand loyalty, believe me. But, I'll take one of these vans any day, even with the repairs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2011 Grand Caravan no crank no start no gear selection (PRND) display