Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Trans rebuild fail

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 09:50 AM
brianf989
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans rebuild fail

Hello everyone. I recently attempted my first transmission RnR. Got the kit and went through it methodicallt replacing Clutches and seals step by step with the factory service manual. Put it back in and it will not move AT ALL. Now, I'm not a transmission guy, but I have 15 years in the industry as an ASE Cert. Mechanic (brakes, suspensions, exh., front end, alignment, engine, etc) and my associates refer to me as " Mr. Fix-It " because, well, I can usually fix about anything so I'm not without an above average understanding of how things work. Anyway, thought maybe it was because I needed to do the quick learn procedure but reading other threads I'm Thinking it' something else. If anyone has had , or knows of similar problems I would sure appreciate some sdvice, the owner would like his van back. Thanx.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:39 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Other than going back and checking/rechecking your work, not much else to offer from me. I leave that stuff to the professionals.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:55 AM
brianf989

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Other than going back and checking/rechecking your work, not much else to offer from me. I leave that stuff to the professionals.
thank you. Hope it is something simple.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:51 AM
as400pgmrs

If you force 'limp mode' you should see 'R' and second gear only in 'D'.
You could either remove the eatx relay or disconnect the connector going to the solenoid pack on front of trans.

Have you confirmed the shifter cable is moving the shaft on the trans?

When you disassembled the trans did you find any damaged parts? Or any shrapnel?

Did you check the planetary gears?

Do you hear any noises coming from the trans when you try 'R', 'D', '3' or 'L' ??

Old 04-11-2018, 10:50 PM
FCA Master

When you installed the underdrive piston did you use the sleeve? Did the piston go in square? Did the reverse piston seal get put in? (many people forget this one)

Old 04-18-2018, 09:22 AM
brianf989

Originally Posted by brianf989
thank you. Hope it is something simple.
shifter cable confirmed. I used the green disc "sleeve" putting the piston back in because I realized it was touchy getting it to go in square and not pinch the seal.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:28 AM
brianf989

Originally Posted by as400pgmrs
If you force 'limp mode' you should see 'R' and second gear only in 'D'.
You could either remove the eatx relay or disconnect the connector going to the solenoid pack on front of trans.

Have you confirmed the shifter cable is moving the shaft on the trans?

When you disassembled the trans did you find any damaged parts? Or any shrapnel?

Did you check the planetary gears?

Do you hear any noises coming from the trans when you try 'R', 'D', '3' or 'L' ??
the only damage was the reverse clutches were smoked. Clutch material debris but no "shrapnel".
planetary gears visibly ok, play within tolerance.

no noise from trans when shifted into gear, rpms lower like it' engaging but van just doesn't move.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:31 AM
brianf989

Originally Posted by FCA Master
When you installed the underdrive piston did you use the sleeve? Did the piston go in square? Did the reverse piston seal get put in? (many people forget this one)
pretty sure I replaced reverse piston seal. I'l have to go back through my notes.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Trans rebuild fail