Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Temperature Gauge Bouncing

Old 04-29-2018, 10:41 PM
ixlr8x3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Temperature Gauge Bouncing

Hi all,

I have been searching here, there, and everywhere for any information in regards to my 2008 dodge grand caravan sxt 3.8l temperature gauge bouncing. This started a few months (Year?) back and I have been monitoring since then. It is doing the following:

Once it starts to warm up, it will do so, but will bounce between 1/4 to slightly below, to above a 1/4. It will continue to heat up till half way, then it will sometimes bounce from 1/2 to 1/4 and back up again. The kicker to this now, is that sometimes (rarely) it will go the opposite and bounce or rise to 3/4. When I catch this, I turn on the heater and by that time it instantly drops to 1/2 or sometimes even slightly lower. After that it does not happen for a while.

Thing I have done

Replaced Thermostat
Coolant drain, Clean, and drain /fill again with spec fluid (g-05 HOAT)

There has been white smoke coming out of the exhaust (not a lot and only on cold / chilly days..) since we have owned the vehicle. This started a couples years back. It does consume oil, but not sure if those are related. Oil looks normal, no milkiness or anything out of sorts.

Has anyone ran into this before?

Last edited by ixlr8x3; 04-29-2018 at 10:58 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Temperature Gauge Bouncing