Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2010 3.8 ticking

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 07:58 PM
Jennifer81
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2010 3.8 ticking

I bought my second Caravan after my first one (2006 3.3 230k) wouldn't stop running, I figured another one would be just as good. Bought it from a dealer with 60k on it and at 75k I started getting a tick that sounded like a lifter. I also noticed that I was going through several quarts of oil between changes and there was no signs of leaks in the driveway. I pulled the valve covers and checked the rockers and none of them were loose. I used some engine flush and changed the oil to synthetic 5-20 and will no change. I've tried Rislone, Seafoam, MMO, and changed the oil again using another flush kit and it's still ticking. I also noticed that putting my finger over the breather tube port made it stop so I replaced the pcv valve but still no change. It's a light/moderate tick that starts about 20 seconds after starting cold and immediately when hot. Next step is to dig in and replace the lifters but I've been reading that others have had no luck after changing the lifters. Any idea of what else to check our what else it could be?

Old 06-20-2018, 10:15 PM
Jennifer81

Ok I replaced the lifters and it's still ticking like before. The only things left are cam or crank. I checked the drain pan and no metal is there so I'm thinking cam shafts. Anyone ever had to replace those on a 3.8 before?

Old 06-24-2018, 09:22 PM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This ticking has been discussed multiple times on another forum, and the consensus opinion has always been to just live with the ticking. My daughter's '05 has been ticking away since the day I bought it 4 1/2 years and 40K miles ago. Now at 165K miles with no change in the sound during our ownership, and the van has always run like a champ. But of course not all vans have this ticking noise, and no pattern or reason has been identified for why some tick and others don't.

My guess on the ticking is the timing chain, however I have nothing to base that on because no one has ever reported doing a timing chain job, in order to try to eliminate the ticking. However, it sounds like you're intent on getting rid of the noise, and if you decide to go ahead and replace the chain components, by all means post back with the outcome!

Old 06-29-2018, 10:30 PM
Jennifer81

Thank you for the information, I'm going to drop the oil pan to at least see up close what the bearings look like. At $40-$50 for all of them it's worth a shot. I'm just hoping it's not in the cam shaft area as that is a little more work getting to.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:56 AM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, there's ticking and then there's knocking, and I obviously don't know which noise your van is making. But if the noise coming from your van is the ticking that's so typically reported by others, then I can't imagine it being a bearing noise (i.e. knocking). However it's your vehicle, and your choice, so carry on!

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2010 3.8 ticking