Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: How to test Body Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 12:59 PM
mdijoe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to test Body Control Module

I have a 2003 Dodge Caravan with the 3.3 liter V-6. I have a parasitic drain. Using my old trusty Fluke DVOM. I am drawing about one half amp. Removing relays and fuses did not stop the draw. I did remove and checked the IOD fuse. Since I needed to replace the ignition lock switch, key tumbler only, I disconnected the connectors to the ignition switch and still had the drain. I started disconnecting the control modules. Finally, I disconnected the Body Control Module (BCM), one connector at a time. When I disconnected the second connector from the bottom, the draw fell to 0.06 or 6 milliamps. My questions is, does this confirm a bad BCM or do I need to chase each circuit in that connector? Also if I do need a new BCM, does it need to be flashed to my vehicle?

Side note: everything worked; just had a parasitic drain. The van has 140,000 miles. It did have an aftermarket alarm system, that did not work, so I removed it completely. After removing the alarm system, we went on a trip, in another car. When we returned home, the 2003 Caravan started right after sitting for 10 days. I thought the alarm system was the problem? Then two days later, the 0.5 draw and dead battery was back. Your help is surely appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:58 AM
Franc
Default Question on BCM

Did you resolve the BCM issue or trace the root of the problem of the draw?
I am wondering, on the face of the BCM (Body Control Module) which is mounted on the front of the fuse/relay box there is what looks like a pinhole button. Is this in fact a button?
Could it be a reset button? Anyone know? It looks similar to the "pinhole" button on digital clocks that we use to set the hours and minutes.
I am having about the same issue as you and there appears to be a battery drain. The battery is a year old new from Batteries Plus. It is an Energizer plus battery. The previous was from Walmart and was determined not up to par by Batteries plus.
DON'T GET A BATTERY REPLACEMENT FROM WALMART FOR THESE DODGE GRAND CARAVANS. I found the car runs better when the battery voltage is 12.8v or better. Whenever it is 12.5v or 12.1 volts, it does not run right especially for Dodge Caravans going into 15 years and older. The wires and connections just seems to begin to deteriorate and more voltage is required.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:41 PM
mdijoe

Yes,, Thank you. I found the left overs from an aftermarket alarm system. Once I removed it, the drain went away. Thanks.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: How to test Body Control Module