Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: (5th Gen) Left Valve Cover Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 06:31 PM
alc1118
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (5th Gen) Left Valve Cover Removal

Hello All,
I am planning to inspect and change out the rocker arms as my 2013 GC has developed the notorious ticking sound. I have access to the valve covers now and working on the left bank (closest to the radiator). I back-out the all 12 of the 8mm screws and stems, took out the cam timing sensor at the top of the cover, but the cover still is locked on the right side (facing the motor, side closest to the battery). Before I start taking more of the surrounding connections on the block off, I thought I post this message.

There is a capped off stem on the corner of the very front right side (facing the motor, side closest to the battery). next to the 8mm stem bolt. It looks like a solid black washer with a metal pin in the center. Is that the culprit? If so, how do i back it out and/or remove it. Looks like the only way I can remove is taking a vise grip to it.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2013 GV, 168,000 miles

Old 06-26-2018, 08:00 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

..pics

Old 06-28-2018, 11:57 AM
alc1118
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its all good. The gasket was sealed on the block pretty tight, Took a plaster spatula and went around the edges so see if there was another bolt, then when I got closer to the corner of the impingement the seal broke and the valve cover released.

FYI, The capped off stem on the corner of the very front right side (facing the motor, side closest to the battery) is only a rest support for a wire harness bracket. I guess the mechanic I used before didn't seat the harness back on the rest support.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: (5th Gen) Left Valve Cover Removal