Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Front AC evaporator/heater core replacement on 5th gen

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Josh Phillips
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front AC evaporator/heater core replacement on 5th gen

I have a 2008 3.3L SE with a hole in the front AC evaporator. I had a slow leak for a while followed by a total lack of cold air. After a refrigerant recharge I got one day of cool air; the next day a big puff of dust/gas blew out of the vents, and no more cool air. So that was my diagnostic method, but a shop somehow confirmed it.

I didn't think it would be a huge job, so I got a replacement evaporator. Then I learned that half the darn van seems to be built around the HVAC assembly. But I have time and patience, just not much info on the procedure for the 5th gen.

I followed the 4th gen directions (posted in this forum) as far as I could, but there are some pretty big differences. The two big ones stumping me so far:
  1. How do I disconnect the steering column? The 4th gen has a little clip on the bolt near the floor that makes it easy, but no such joy on the 5th. I could undo it anyway, but it looks like something that could cause steering to go way out of alignment.
  2. 4th gen has some convenient "pivot bolts" on each side of the dash. Remove all the other bolts, and the whole thing pivots back onto the seats. No such thing on the 5th, it looks like the whole dash has to come free from the frame. Is that correct, and exactly how many bolts need to come out? (I see three on each side, four on supports at the centre floor, and a bunch along the base of the windshield. I suspect there are others I haven't identified yet.)
If anyone has further info on this gen, it would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Front AC evaporator/heater core replacement on 5th gen