Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Liftgate Sensor - Front Brakes Heating Up Dragging

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 06:43 AM
Kristopher Johnson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liftgate Sensor - Front Brakes Heating Up Dragging

2008 Grand Caravan SE - Base model

Liftgate Issue

Okay. I'm getting the "gate" warning and of course all my interior lights stay on when the liftgate is closed. I haven't checked the wires back there yet ( Will be checking here in a few minutes. ) I'm hoping the it is just a bad connection. Anyhow. I'd like to know what else may cause the Van to think its gate is open. One of the searches that I came across said something about BCM and needing to be done at a dealer for programming?

Now, if it is the liftgate sensor, would shorting the wires make the Van think the gates closed? Sorta like people that didn't like wearing there seat belts back in the day did to stop the seat belt warning light/sound to go away by connecting the 2 wires together?

Hot Brakes
Front brakes are getting hot way to often (Especially when the rears are working fine.) This issue comes and goes. Some days I'll have no issue at all. Some days both brakes will be hot. Some days either one side or the other is hot. At times it seems like I need to put my foot into the Acc. to get the van to go. You can tell at times one or the other or both are dragging. It'll pull to whatever side then all of a sudden you feel it free up.

At first I thought it may have been something to do with my broken clockspring (I fixed that earlier today.) However, it is still doing it. Next thought. Is there a stability control system on this that could be malfunctioning? It seems like rougher road and bumps trigger/free the dragging. The road doesn't necessarily have to be "rough" but just a wavy/winding back county road.

I read somewhere that the brake hoses could be the problem? Collapsed / vacuum locked causing the caliper not to be able to release the pressure? That does make sense and I will be changing those 2 hoses today. I guess the main reason that makes sense in my situation is that this beast definitely needs some new struts and shocks all the way round. Almost like taking a small fishing boating out into Black River Bay.

I just would like to know if anyone else had the problem here and it was something different?

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Liftgate Sensor - Front Brakes Heating Up Dragging