Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Windshield Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 07:16 PM
LocalHaunts
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Issue

I have a 2016, Scat Pack Shaker, a 2016 Ram, and now just added a new 2018 Grand Caravan for my business. I have to admit, I LOVE the van. (mostly because I know I have the ScatPack and I'm not stuck with a van.) It's a sexy BlackTop edition all murdered out with black leather. Very nice. However, on the test drive I noticed that the van had a strange effect on my vision. I felt pressure in my eyes as though I were wearing some else's prescription glasses. Then I noticed that right in front of me the windshield had a weird warping effect on anything directly in front of the driver seat. This was messing with my head. When my mate drove it she almost ran off the road because it was disorienting her badly. We drove another van and it did not have this issue. But it wasn't as "sexy" as the blacktop edition. So we bought the blacktop with the agreement that the dealer would replace the windshield. They too could see the weird warping. That was on July 31st. I had the van for a week, bonded with it. And basked in the amazing new smell. Then exactly a week later I was informed that the windshield was on backorder. It would be 2 TO 3 WEEKS. As it was a safety concern, I had to let them keep the van on the lot until it was fixed, and they put me in a rental. (which also was a 2018 Grand Caravan.) Before I got home from Enterprise Rental, i had to turn around and take the van back. Why? Because it had the same Mother F**KING problem with the windshield that mine had. They searched and got me another Grand Caravan. And while not as bad, it TOO had the warped windshield thing going on. (as well as the Grand Caravan that they used to pick me up in at the dealership in the first place) So that was 4 out of 5 Grand Caravans that I had been in that had the same issue with the windshield. (who knows, maybe further inspection of the 5th would have shown it too.) It has now been 3 weeks since I bought the van and I've had it in my possession for only 1 week. I miss my van. But more importantly, Dodge has a problem. Now I LOVE Dodge. I'm a serious Mopar Man. But my girlfriend pointed out something, she said that is probably mostly women that drive Caravans with their kids. And (her words) they are already compromised as drivers because they are females and are probably talking on the phone or texting while hauling their kids around anyway. (yes my girlfriend said that) . And they may not be consciously aware that the windshield is affecting them to the point that it might cause them to become dizzy or disoriented like it did my girlfriend. Thus it could cause an accident and they may never even know why. This could be a huge problem for Dodge. There should be a recall on Grand Caravans and the windshields should be replaced. My Challenger has a perfect windshield, my Ram does too. But 4 out of 5 Caravans that I have been in all had issues with theirs. And the backorder?? Is the problem so big that it has caused a massive backorder issue? Just had to vent, and warn in case any of my Mopar brothers had a Grand Caravan and wondered why they might feel "off" when driving it. Get it checked out, but be warned, it might take a while. I called the dealer and they STILL don't have a date as to when I will have my van fixed. And what if the windshield they send has the same problem??? I love the van and can't wait to have it back home. It will then be wrapped for my business. (I have 2 TV shows) I bought it for a purpose and I need it. But mostly I miss it.
UPDATE... Just heard from the dealer. It will be September 26th before I can expect my van. And could even be LONGER!!! WTF?!!

My Rides

Old 08-25-2018, 05:04 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

tell them you can't wait anymore and want an aftermarket glass installed. have the dealer fight it out with corporate to get paid,

Old 08-31-2018, 08:09 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the forum!! Probably why they are on back order. They are most likely dealing with the supplier on the issue to get it resolved. This must be a new issue as my Dad's 08 doesn't have this issue. Perhaps they changed suppliers and this is where the issue arose from, or they are now changing suppliers, due to this issue. Hopefully, it will be resolved soon and they get you back on the road. Nice looking group of vehicles, you have there.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Windshield Issue