Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: P0302 code 2015 Town and Country

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 04:56 PM
16 T&C, 11 RT HEMI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some great information in this thread, and I realize this may be too late of a response. However, I have been through the same thing with my 2016 with 68,000 miles. I replaced plug, coil pack, checked compression, and checked injector. Turns out to be the infamous #2 cylinder head needs replaced ($2700). Apparently Chrysler has had a major issue with the left side cylinders for a while. I did contact Chrysler to see if they would offer any assistance for my repair. I got a big "NOPE". I have owned 5 mopar vehicles over the last 17 yrs and this is the thanks I get?! ..........Chrysler should do better.
To add insult to injury - when I first took my van to the dealer (a couple of months ago), they told me "bad gas" was the problem. They wanted to take my tank off and clean it out for $1000.
Anyway, I hope this helps some people avoid some of the headaches I've been through.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:38 AM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

FCA has extended the powertrain warranty on their Pentastar V-6 for the left head only to 10 years or 150,000 miles (245.000 km).
The key is you have to have a Dodge/Chrysler dealer do the work from the start if any work was started by others they could refuse to honor the warranty.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:08 PM
16 T&C, 11 RT HEMI

Originally Posted by Mopar340
FCA has extended the powertrain warranty on their Pentastar V-6 for the left head only to 10 years or 150,000 miles (245.000 km).
The key is you have to have a Dodge/Chrysler dealer do the work from the start if any work was started by others they could refuse to honor the warranty.
My van is a 2016 and Chrysler tells me that it is not covered by the extended warranty. They said they looked it up by VIN# and my van isn’t covered?
I asked to speak with someone else and was told I would get a call back - nothing yet. I’m still hoping Chrysler will do the right thing and stand behind their product.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:48 PM
16 T&C, 11 RT HEMI
Default Update

Update:
I was able to speak with someone further up the chain of command at Chrysler today. Thankfully this supervisor gave me some hope of possible assistance. She explained that they may possibly work with me and the dealer to find resolution........... I’ll post an update as soon as I hear back from Chrysler.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:38 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 16 T&C, 11 RT HEMI
Update:
I was able to speak with someone further up the chain of command at Chrysler today. Thankfully this supervisor gave me some hope of possible assistance. She explained that they may possibly work with me and the dealer to find resolution........... I’ll post an update as soon as I hear back from Chrysler.
We sincerely regret to hear of all the trouble that has been associated with your ownership experience. Please know that our team would be more than happy to provide assistance. Please follow up with us via PM to provide more details regarding your concerns!
Rob
DodgeCares

Old 02-18-2020, 01:08 PM
16 T&C, 11 RT HEMI

Update: Good news
Chrysler has agreed to assist with the cost. They are willing to pay for the part (for which I am grateful) and I will be responsible for the labor costs. This will leave me with approximately $1600 for the repair.
Bad news
The part is on back order with no delivery date in sight. The van has already been sitting at the dealer for 3 weeks with no repair in the foreseeable future.

This has been a real headache and makes me think there will not be a 6th mopar product in my future.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:49 AM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

That's why north american automakers are in trouble nobody got any confidence in their product anymore so most people buy imports were they stand by their products. That's plain BS if this wasn't still an issue with the 3.6 pentastar engine why is there a back order on the heads if they weren't still being replaced regularly. I believe this a QC issue that there's still some bad heads that make it through production. FCA claimed that the issues where mainly from 2011-2013 3.6L engines in 2014 the head issue was suppose to resolved.

I also owned a 2007 VW Jetta with nearly 300,000 km never had any issues with engine transmission or anything else than regular maintenance in 2018 during a service appointment a dealership the service tech notice some paint peel and bit of rusting. He asked if I ever had a corrosion inspection done as the car had 12 year unlimited mileage protection I figured it only cover perforation apparently it didn't have to. He booked me for an inspection gave me the instruction they need the car cleaned and for a period of 2 hrs on that date. Wow was I surprised as I only notice some rust around the wheels on the front and one rear fender their report was to change all 4 fender the hood and the trunk only the 4 doors and the roof would remain. That was the good news the bad news was they needed the car for 2 weeks for the repairs and paint a $7,000.00 body job on a 11 year old car that's what I call standing by their product. Even with their latest fiasco with the Diesel model they bought them back from their customers nobody was left holding the bag with losses.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:32 PM
teets.18
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 16 T&C, 11 RT HEMI
Update: Good news
Chrysler has agreed to assist with the cost. They are willing to pay for the part (for which I am grateful) and I will be responsible for the labor costs. This will leave me with approximately $1600 for the repair.
Bad news
The part is on back order with no delivery date in sight. The van has already been sitting at the dealer for 3 weeks with no repair in the foreseeable future.

This has been a real headache and makes me think there will not be a 6th mopar product in my future.
We had TIPM issues and we took our van in for repair again while also inquiring about maybe buying a new Chrysler vehicle if it didn't have the problematic TIPM. The technician who was standing there said, "They still use TIPM's but at least your covered for 3/36K!" I thought, what a joke. Do you know how fast owners burn through 3/36K, and then are left with a problem that makes you feel like you made a major purchase from a group of engineers who made a dumb decision, and it should have never been designed that way, and are left wondering how long will the new TIPM last?
Problematic cylinder heads and problematic TIPM's; Are they really that great in number, or does it just seem that way because we gather as a group and complain as loud as we can? I ask because it's an ongoing complaint and seems like it should have been resolved a loooong time ago.
Maybe is NAFTA didn't happen, many of Chrysler's problems would disappear.

Last edited by teets.18; 02-27-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:15 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by *****.18
Maybe is NAFTA didn't happen, many of Chrysler's problems would disappear.
2 of 3 pentastar engine assembly plants are in the USA
TPM problems are the same on every brand. tpm systems are mandated only by one country in north América ..USA, but its a nafta problem.

Old 02-29-2020, 12:59 PM
teets.18
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by primem
2 of 3 pentastar engine assembly plants are in the USA
TPM problems are the same on every brand. tpm systems are mandated only by one country in north América ..USA, but its a nafta problem.
"tpm systems are mandated only by one country in north América ..USA." NAFTA forces auto makers to manufacture automobiles with foreign parts such as a TIPM manufactured in Mexico at a certain percentage to avoid tariffs.
Google: "Sources say that thousands of engines, including over 500 which were recalled, were built in Mexico using improperly maintained equipment."
Sure, the same could happen in the US, but I'd rather have my stuff built in the US than Mexico any day of the week.
If 2/3 Pentastars are built in the US, than 1/3 is from Mexico.
Point is, NAFTA forces automakers to use outside sources to avoid tariffs; globalization?

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: P0302 code 2015 Town and Country