Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Seeking Advice On Keeping Van, or Buying New

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 12:32 PM
teets.18
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seeking Advice On Keeping Van, or Buying New

Hello Everyone,
I have a 2012 GC, 98k miles, that I maintained fairly well. Synthetic oil every 3k, trans serviced every 30k, brakes flushed, new coolant, thermostat, upper & lower rad hoses, new dealer tipm, newer alternator and battery, serp belt, both idler pulleys, and undercoated/Fluid Filmed the underside twice per year, etc.
So, I am asking if I should keep maintaining this vehicle by replacing parts early, or if I should do the absolute bare minimum due to the age & mileage. It's paid off, this past June, and I was hoping to pay down some debt, However, while changing the serp belt, I noticed the water pump bearing feel moderately gravely/grovely, and make a slight noise while spinning by hand. My thoughts were to immediately replace the pump, and the infamous hoses that have the plastic y-connectors that fail early.

If I decide to replace the pump & hoses & some other items, it's about $400. I need struts too, soon. Are there other items, besides the tipm, that make owning and maintaining these 5th gen Grand Caravans risky? I've heard there are flex plate issues with this design and there's no alternative, or upgraded flex plate. I hear occasional chattering when I accelerate and am a little nervous that I could have a bad flex plate, which means deopping the transmission.
What would you guys do? Replace just the pump? Replace hoses as well? New van, instead?

I know I'm kind-off all over the place with my question, but that's how I feel right about now, and would like some advice.
Thank Everyone.

Last edited by teets.18; 11-12-2018 at 03:56 PM. Reason: New information
Old 11-12-2018, 03:21 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

This is really a question of whether it’s worth it to you.

It sounds like you take good care of your van, so if you continue to do so, the chances of needing major “emergency” repairs will continue to decline. Of course there are no guarantees, but there are no guarantees with a new van either.

From a cost standpoint, maintenance and repairs on your current van will be cheaper than buying a new one just because you won’t have the payments on top of that.

If I were in your position with the current repairs you’re anticipating, I wouldn’t buy new. But that’s because I don’t think it’s worth it - so again I ask - is it worth it to you?

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Seeking Advice On Keeping Van, or Buying New