Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 01:05 PM
JETwagen
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Replacement

I have a 2010 VW Routan (a.k.a. Doge Caravan or Chrysler T&C) with the 4.0L engine. I'm having some issues with it and looking into the cost of rebuilding or replacing the engine. My preference would be to replace with an already rebuilt engine to save time over a rebuild of my current engine. My question in this matter to you is since I'm looking at replacement, can the newer 3.6L be swapped in without issue, or does it require changing more than just the block and heads? I do not want to do any other replacements at this time, only the engine itself. Not changing the transmission, fuel system, intake, exhaust, electrical or computer or anything else. Thank you.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:07 PM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

At minimum you will need an expensive ECU (computer) and DMV will require proof of mileage since your odometer will change. The rest of the stuff you need to ask the mechanic doing the work because ultimately it's up to their skill level on what they can re-use.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:45 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JETwagen
I do not want to do any other replacements at this time, only the engine itself. Not changing the transmission, fuel system, intake, exhaust, electrical or computer or anything else. Thank you.
if those are your requirements then nope.
+1 for not rebuilding the old engine.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Engine Replacement