Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Rear brake dust shield

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 08:42 AM
Kazper413
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake dust shield

Hey everyone first time on this forum. Figured I give this a shot because I've exhausted all other options. I have a 2000 dodge grand caravan awd with 4 wheel disc brakes. It needed wheel bearings in the back along with some brake work. When I started tearing into it noticed the backing plate was completely gone. The parking brake shoes were rusted to the rotors on both sides, took a lot of work but got everything off. My current issue is that I cannot find those backing plates anywhere!!! It is a dust shield riveted to a casting that is the caliper mounting bracket. I've called dodge, auto parts stores, dorman, junkyards, searched endlessly on the internet. Always comes to the same thing, "part discontinued" I'm at a loss, I know it's an older vehicle but this has been babied its whole life, only 56,000 miles...would hate to have to junk it for these stupid backing plates. I live in a state where inspections every yr and parking brake is needed, those plates are the only way to hook the parking brake back up....will different yrs of this part work? I can find 2001 but says wont fit, looks exactly the same...if anyone has any suggestions or ideas I thank you ahead of time!!!

Old 01-27-2019, 07:50 PM
Kazper413
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kazper413
Hey everyone first time on this forum. Figured I give this a shot because I've exhausted all other options. I have a 2000 dodge grand caravan awd with 4 wheel disc brakes. It needed wheel bearings in the back along with some brake work. When I started tearing into it noticed the backing plate was completely gone. The parking brake shoes were rusted to the rotors on both sides, took a lot of work but got everything off. My current issue is that I cannot find those backing plates anywhere!!! It is a dust shield riveted to a casting that is the caliper mounting bracket. I've called dodge, auto parts stores, dorman, junkyards, searched endlessly on the internet. Always comes to the same thing, "part discontinued" I'm at a loss, I know it's an older vehicle but this has been babied its whole life, only 56,000 miles...would hate to have to junk it for these stupid backing plates. I live in a state where inspections every yr and parking brake is needed, those plates are the only way to hook the parking brake back up....will different yrs of this part work? I can find 2001 but says wont fit, looks exactly the same...if anyone has any suggestions or ideas I thank you ahead of time!!!

Has anyone had this problem?? Will the 01 backing plates work on the 2000?

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Rear brake dust shield