Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2012 antifreeze change

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 05:31 PM
steppjohn
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 antifreeze change

Hi,
I have a 2012 dodge crew with 107000 miles and assumed that it was due for its 5 year antifreeze change (I bot it used).
So, I did a little research and found that it should have HOAT type . So I got some Zerox G-O)5, which seems to fit the bill.
Found the coolant drain pulg and drained and measured. Only about 1.5 gal drained out. (6 qts?) (It was some pinkish looking stuff.)
Checked the book and it says that the capacity of the system is 13.5 qts (including the heater and recovery system bottle).
The recovery system is about 2 qts. so the engine is some 11.5 qt?

So. My question is how much should I be getting on a simple drain? And how much should I really put in?

I drained and refilled (about 1.5 gal) several time til the pinkish look abated. Seemed to have pretty clean water in the system by then.

I am assuming that not all the coolant drains on a simple drain. Must be some retained in the system some where.
Ultimately, I did a bit of calculating ( one half of 13 quarts is 6 full strength quarts) So, I put about 5 full strength quarts of the G-05 stuff in the system. That should b 45 % or so if I am thinking correct. I am in the south so I have no expectation any really cold snaps.

So, any thoughts on this.?

Thanks for any thoughts.. John

Old 02-19-2019, 08:56 AM
steppjohn
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, not much chatter about doing coolant changes. A lost art?

To add a bit more info, What I have done so far seems to be working OK.
My initial refill was on low side to the point where the expansion reservoir was initially remained empty during normal operation..
At this point I am testing the strength of the coolant using my little floating ***** tester ($2.00 at Advance Auto), and I am completing the refill by adding either water or coolant to the recovery tank get the overall strength to my desired condition.
Basically I am trying to get 4 ***** floating.
Fun Fun.
John

Old 02-19-2019, 09:55 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I just drain what comes out of the radiator by opening the draincock. Then use one of those prestone coolant flush kits and flush everything out. Drain the radiator again and refill using the proper mix. Keep an eye on it for a few days to keep the level correct, then just drive on. I don't overthink it.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2012 antifreeze change