Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan ES Handicap Van / No Crank

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 01:12 PM
triplec13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan ES Handicap Van / No Crank

Hi,

Jumped battery and let run for 45 minutes.
Engine got a little wet from drizzle while running for 45 minutes.
Next morning ....
No crank only one click.
Full electronics work no dimming anywhere.
No "check engine light"
When attempting to start only 1 click, heat comes on as well as cd player and the oil light, brake light and airbag light linger.
New battery with cleaned terminal ends.
Same problem..

Any ideas?

Last edited by triplec13; 04-06-2019 at 12:57 PM. Reason: 1st post was too complicated.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:42 AM
Tim Earley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had to rebuild the starter assembly in my wife's 2008 model. Corrosion had built up on the terminals, and the brushes inside the starter motor were filthy. After rebuilding it, it spun up like brand new. I'd check first the starter solenoid relay, and failing that, look at the starter connections to see if any corrosion is present. The terminals may just need to be cleaned. If they're ok, maybe read the voltage across the starter while someone turns the key. If it drops below, say, 10VDC, I'd suspect either a bad ground, or a bad starter.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:00 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Earley
I recently had to rebuild the starter assembly in my wife's 2008 model. Corrosion had built up on the terminals, and the brushes inside the starter motor were filthy. After rebuilding it, it spun up like brand new. I'd check first the starter solenoid relay, and failing that, look at the starter connections to see if any corrosion is present. The terminals may just need to be cleaned. If they're ok, maybe read the voltage across the starter while someone turns the key. If it drops below, say, 10VDC, I'd suspect either a bad ground, or a bad starter.
Which terminals are you referring to when you say “across the starter”? Because you want to see voltage drop on a starter, but in the right place.

Key off or key on, engine off, you should only see battery voltage +/- 0.5 volt at the starter solenoid B+ cable terminal (available voltage, so with meter grounded to frame or B- terminal).

Key in starting/cranking position, you should see battery voltage +/- 0.5 volt at the solenoid B+ terminal, the solenoid ignition terminal, and the starter motor terminal (available voltage).

A starter is a series circuit and the motor is the load. You want to see battery voltage up to the motor and less than 0.5 volt on the case/ground side - in other words, all the voltage should drop across the motor when it’s engaged.

No click + no crank = electrical problem.
Click + no crank = mechanical problem.

Most likely the starter needs replacement.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan ES Handicap Van / No Crank