Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 09 caravan ABS, esp/bas, traction lights on, and cruis doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 09:17 AM
slipperypete
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 caravan ABS, esp/bas, traction lights on, and cruise doesn't work

Howdy - the ABS, esp/bas, traction lights are on my 2009 Caravan (4.0) are on. And cruise control doesn't work. I need to go get the codes read, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what you did about it. The van seems to drive like it always has.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by slipperypete; 07-11-2019 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Cruise spelled wrong
Old 07-11-2019, 02:23 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Usually the problem that is common to ABS, traction and stability control systems are the wheel speed sensors. It could be a broken wire or it could one of the wheel bearings is going bad and causing erratic readings. It could also be an issue with the related control module(s), so unfortunately repair costs can range anywhere from $50 to $1000 - there’s no way to be sure without knowing what codes are set.

The cruise may be disabled as a result of the fault(s) that are causing the warning lights to come on, but without looking at the particulars on your van I can’t say for sure.

If the code(s) that are present specify one or two wheels in particular, you’re most likely looking at the sensor wiring or wheel bearing is at fault.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:37 PM
slipperypete
Amateur

Thanks for the reply! I'm trying to find a place to read the codes for free. Auto Zone was my first call, but they don't/won't read ABS codes. I'll keep searching. I have a cheap code reader but it doesn't find anything. I'm going to try to remove the fuses tonight to see if the lights turn off. They should turn on again if there is a problem.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:49 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Not saying this is true for all of them, but my experience with parts stores is they use a basic code reader (typically one they have on display because it gives them a chance to peak a customers curiosity) and there’s a lot of different types you can get.

Basic code readers are only intended to read powertrain codes - those related to the engine and transmission. ABS, traction control and just about every other system can’t be read by them because they’re just not designed for it.

There are off the shelf code readers that will read ABS codes - you just have to look at the packaging to make sure it specifies ABS capability.

And of course, with all the smart phones out there, there are adapters you can buy that will plug in to the OBD 2 plug and Bluetooth with your phone, allowing you to read codes as well.

I don’t think you’ll have much luck on your fuse hunt. Chances are the cluster is turning on the lights because it’s being commanded to by the ABS module.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:58 AM
slipperypete
Amateur

Thanks again!

I went to O'Reilly last night. They put the scan tool on but didn't find any codes. I tried the jumpers and also unhooked the battery. The lights are still on, but the cruise works now. I'll keep on this...

Good luck!

Old 07-12-2019, 10:12 AM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Hopefully you took the time and checked your fuses most vehicle have 2 or 3 fuses dedicated to the ABS, ECS and TCS as they are integrated. Blown fuse will give you warning lights.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:31 AM
slipperypete
Amateur

Thanks for the message. I did check the fuses. I think the 3 for ABS are J6, J7, and M37. I didn't have my glasses on, but I'm 99.9% sure they're OK.
Pete

Old 07-14-2019, 07:54 AM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Looks can be deceiving especially when checking electrical components such as fuses, circuit breakers and overloads.What might look OK to the naked eye could very well be a failed component. The only sure way to check a fuse is with a multi-meter. I've seen in too many instances where people figured the fuses looked good or the circuit breaker were closed and upon checking with the meter they were bad.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 09 caravan ABS, esp/bas, traction lights on, and cruis doesn't work