Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2012 T&C. p0420 code

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 01:50 PM
stlarry
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 T&C. p0420 code

I am having a few issues with my 2012 T&C. 145K miles.

it is having a hard time acceleration around 1200-1500RPM, if i am light on the gas it makes a weird sound and is slugish. Recently have been noticing decreased MPG (14 or less range for mostly in town driving, 22ish for long trips). threw the P0420 (catalyst system efficiency below bank 1) code the other day. Anyone else had similar issues? not sure where to begin. know my way around vehicles, so dont want to take it somewhere if it is an easy fix..

Old 08-14-2019, 09:37 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 64 Likes on 61 Posts

Have you seen the check engine light blink at all? Have you recently replaced any ignition components such as spark plugs, plug wires and/or coils? If not, how long has it been since the ignition system was tuned up?

Catalytic converters are one of the most stable components on a vehicle- they should last the life of the van as long as long as the engine is operating normally.

The primary reasons for a cat efficiency code are (in no particular order):

1) Faulty downstream O2 sensor - best diagnosed with a scan tool that’s capable of reading live data, but can be done with a meter.

2) Exhaust leak somewhere between the upstream and downstream O2 sensors - if it’s before the upstream sensor you tend to see bank lean codes.

3) Incomplete combustion (misfires) - excess fuel that hasn’t been burned is getting into the exhaust and cat. A little extra fuel for a short time won’t hurt anything, but a little extra fuel for long periods can cause permanent damage to the cat.

Based on your description of its performance, I suspect the cat may be beginning to break down and clog up. A couple of quick, easy things to check (ramps would be useful here):

1) Visually inspect for obvious exhaust leaks between the upstream and downstream O2 sensors. With the engine running, listen for them and hold your hand near the exhaust to feel for “puffs” of air escaping. The cat gets very hot so use your own discretion on where you actually have room to place your hand without getting burned.

2) While holding a sheet of notebook paper over the tail pipe (you want to hold it with one hand to create a slight bow across the middle so that it stands rigidly upright) have an assistant start the engine. There should be enough force cause the paper to bend and return to its upright position. Next, have the assistant rev the engine to 2000 RPM (perform this test in park and also in drive with their foot on the brake to create load on the engine - bear in mind the torque converter stall speed may prevent reaching 2000 RPM so however high it will go in drive is fine) - the paper should be pushed over without standing up. If the exhaust doesn’t generate enough force to bend the paper, the cat is breaking down and beginning to clog.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2012 T&C. p0420 code