Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Where to buy the rear AC lines?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 12:10 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to buy the rear AC lines?

So I'm picking up this 2010 Grand Caravan in a few days and the AC isn't currently working. After doing some brief inspecting I've discovered that the AC lines running to the rear core seem to have been cut and capped off. so the AC probably doesn't have any refrigerant in it.
The compressor doesn't kick on when the AC is turned on, but it does spin by hand as it should so I can only assume at this point that the problem is it's empty because these liens have been cut.

What is the replacement part for these two aluminum pipes?

Old 08-14-2019, 02:34 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the system has been capped instead of fixing a rear leak. imo leave the back and fix the front system. the rear lines are probably dealer only, will cost a lot to install for not much return in performance. fix the front and it will perform fine.

the only way to determine if the system is low on refrigerant is to recover it. if its low, add uv dye, charge the system, run the system for 1 week and them look for dye with a uv light and uv glasses.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:00 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

the problem is, this picture is backwards, and the capped off part is the rear. the part that's just cut and flat is coming from the front of the vehicle.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:19 PM
Digger 89L
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's correct: they cap the lines like that so the front A/C still works, but the rear is cut-off to refrigerant flow. (see my post on Rear A/C and heat). What has likely happened in your case is that those caps have allowed the refrigerant to slowly leak out. Check those caps and make sure they are sealed tight before wasting money on re-charging the system ....or get a shop to splice in lines to reconnect the rear evaporator. But, again, check to make sure the rear evaporator is not leaking. It usually leaks at the point where it connects to the lines coming from the front of the vehicle.

Last edited by Digger 89L; 08-14-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:43 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

I fixed the a/c on my Escalade and the lines to the rear were leaking in the middle. I found the lines on Fleabay but both were between $300 and $400, each. I got the block off cap set for $28 and just put a little less refirgerant in the front system. It takes 44 ounces total but my gauges read proper pressure with 32 ounces in it. Plus, it looked to be extremely labor intensive to replace the lines.The a/c works fine now and I usually don't like the people in the back seat anyway.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:57 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Originally Posted by Digger 89L
That's correct: they cap the lines like that so the front A/C still works, but the rear is cut-off to refrigerant flow. (see my post on Rear A/C and heat). What has likely happened in your case is that those caps have allowed the refrigerant to slowly leak out. Check those caps and make sure they are sealed tight before wasting money on re-charging the system ....or get a shop to splice in lines to reconnect the rear evaporator. But, again, check to make sure the rear evaporator is not leaking. It usually leaks at the point where it connects to the lines coming from the front of the vehicle.
As I tried explaining, the caps are the rear side of the lines, and the folded lines are on the front, it's the picture that's backwards....but if lines can be spliced into that then that's a perfectly acceptable option, I'll just replace the rear core.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:52 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by GRNDPNDR
As I tried explaining, the caps are the rear side of the lines, and the folded lines are on the front, it's the picture that's backwards....but if lines can be spliced into that then that's a perfectly acceptable option, I'll just replace the rear core.

I thought you mistyped. Well, you know where the leak is now. Either replace the lines in front, or pinch the folds really well and solder them solid on the open end.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:23 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the problem is, this picture is backwards, and the capped off part is the rear. the part that's just cut and flat is coming from the front of the vehicle.
if you want the work and expense to route new lines go for it...the rear thermal expansion valve (I've done more than 10 in my shop) and possibly rear evaporator may be leaking; hense the reason for the plugs in the first place. Its a lot of work, time and money.

you can cut the front lines in an accessible location and install caps on the front...the system will be up and running is a couple hours for $200 - 300 at a shop or $100 if you diy

Old 08-14-2019, 08:34 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

You’d do well to perform a thorough inspection on those lines before putting an evaporator in it and reconnecting them. Any vehicle with rear AC lines is prone to leaks any number of places, not just the factory joints and connections. Rocks and debris collect on top of/around them and wear through them.

Get the van up on a set of ramps where you can get a good look at the entire length. Use a hose to wash off any accumulated dirt. If necessary, pull the right rear fender liner too.

Once everything going to the rear is cleaned and visible, put 20-30 psi of air pressure into the rear lines. Look and listen for leaks. If no leaks are present in the lines, then proceed with the evaporator replacement.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:51 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Originally Posted by GumbyRT
You’d do well to perform a thorough inspection on those lines before putting an evaporator in it and reconnecting them. Any vehicle with rear AC lines is prone to leaks any number of places, not just the factory joints and connections. Rocks and debris collect on top of/around them and wear through them.

Get the van up on a set of ramps where you can get a good look at the entire length. Use a hose to wash off any accumulated dirt. If necessary, pull the right rear fender liner too.

Once everything going to the rear is cleaned and visible, put 20-30 psi of air pressure into the rear lines. Look and listen for leaks. If no leaks are present in the lines, then proceed with the evaporator replacement.

See the thing is, the dealership that I'm buying it from cleans up the vehicles so well that they look almost brand new. either that or this van is in excellent shape.
There is no dirt or grease or anything on any of the AC lines. the engine bay, the underside, and all the lines look clean as day one, so it just raises a bit of confusion as to whether or not this van really was maintained that well or if it was a ****box before hand.

basically once I get it saftied I'll have the shop give me a quote on repairing that rear AC and what options there are for fixing it. I would like to have a fully functional system as I'm very heat sensitive, but if even the front works I suppose I'd be happy for a while.

Since some of you guys seem to know, could anyone give me even the roughest of ideas of what I MIGHT be looking at in terms of cost to fix this up by replacing those lines? .... it seems like the components are kind of hard to find, at least in places other than mopar sites, and the lines are like $680 if I'm looking at the right part, and the core is like $450 or something.... I've seen the cores on Amazon for a cheaper price, but not the lines.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Where to buy the rear AC lines?