Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[General]: 01+ 3.8 in 1994 Voyager

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 12:40 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 01+ 3.8 in 1994 Voyager

I've heard this is a swap that can easily be done in the older Mopars, now I'm digging into it.
Basically only requires swapping some sensors/wiring, the flexplate, and the timing cover so the mount works as I've found, but that brings up other issues.

What about the fuel rail/injectors? The old style runs a return, the new does not.

What about mounts/accessories? Will the old mounts still work, do my accessory locations change, etc?

Basically I'm looking for more power than this 92 3.3L that's currently powering it, without doing major internal mods.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:42 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Come on guys, I know people have done this already!

Old 08-23-2019, 02:02 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by smokesxt
I've heard this is a swap that can easily be done in the older Mopars, now I'm digging into it.
Basically only requires swapping some sensors/wiring, the flexplate, and the timing cover so the mount works as I've found, but that brings up other issues.

What about the fuel rail/injectors? The old style runs a return, the new does not.

What about mounts/accessories? Will the old mounts still work, do my accessory locations change, etc?

Basically I'm looking for more power than this 92 3.3L that's currently powering it, without doing major internal mods.
I’m not too familiar with engine swaps between different years, but what sticks out to me is you’re swapping between OBD 1 and OBD 2 systems which I think will create some issues if you have to use the PCM for the 01. It will probably have to be programmed and potentially any security systems bypassed.

If there’s no return on the fuel rail, all you need to do is make sure the original return line is capped off to keep dirt out of the tank and prevent venting/leaking of the EVAP system. You MIGHT need to get a higher pressure fuel pump but you won’t know that until you can run the engine and see how it’s performing.

As for mounts, accessories, etc - you’ll just have to compare them. I recommend going to a salvage yard and finding a van with the engine you want. Look at the location of the mounts, accessories, etc (take pictures if you can) and then compare that information with what’s on your 94. Things like AWD vs non-AWD will make a difference for the mounts too so take that into account.

The location of the alternator and AC compressor can also mean the difference between the engine fitting or not as well as the position of the cooling fans so make note of that as well.

Last edited by GumbyRT; 08-23-2019 at 02:05 PM.

Quick Reply: [General]: 01+ 3.8 in 1994 Voyager