Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Lighting Malfunction!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 12:33 PM
aliciammorris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Lighting Malfunction!!

My low beam and fog lamp are not working on the driver side. I have replaced bulbs and checked all relevant fuses. What do I do? I am a single mom with limited income and can't afford a $1,000 car repair! HELP PLEASE!!!

Old 08-31-2019, 01:49 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 64 Likes on 61 Posts

Providing the year, make and model of your van will help us help you narrow down the cause. These vans are pretty much all wired the same but sometimes specific years have issues that are well known.

I doubt this will end up being a costly repair. Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, determining the cause won’t be too difficult.

Old 08-31-2019, 02:07 PM
aliciammorris

Originally Posted by GumbyRT
Providing the year, make and model of your van will help us help you narrow down the cause. These vans are pretty much all wired the same but sometimes specific years have issues that are well known.

I doubt this will end up being a costly repair. Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, determining the cause won’t be too difficult.

It is a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. I have also had a couple issues with the A/C not blowing in the back, that has happened off and on for about 2 - 3 weeks, not sure if it's related but it's just weird enough to notice!

Old 08-31-2019, 04:20 PM
GumbyRT
Captain

Unlikely the rear AC issue is related but we shouldn’t rule anything out. For now let’s treat them as separate issues.

Are you using the auto function for the lights? If so, have you tried moving the switch to manual on to see if that turns them on?

Also, what was the condition of the connectors/sockets when you changed the bulbs? Were they clean or did they have a lot of corrosion and dirt built up on them?

The following users liked this post:
aliciammorris (09-01-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 04:36 PM
aliciammorris

I didn't think the 2 issues would be related it's just weird lol!

The connectors for the bulbs looked fine with no corrosion. When I checked the fuses, however, they did look like they were beginning to get that bluish powdery looking stuff on them, similar to what happens to battery posts. I was able to easily blow/wipe it off of the fuses.

Both the headlight and the fog light went out at the exact same time too if that makes a difference.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:21 PM
aliciammorris

And I am not using the auto-function.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:44 PM
Nicholas Seyfarth
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry maybe I missed it, what is the year?

Old 08-31-2019, 07:51 PM
aliciammorris

Originally Posted by Nicholas Seyfarth
Sorry maybe I missed it, what is the year?
2011 - Caravan

Old 08-31-2019, 08:08 PM
Nicholas Seyfarth
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So it may be the TIPM (totally integrated power module). It could be detecting a short or if you have changed to a different type of bulb such as led. The TIPM monitors power draw. I changed my fog lights to led and my vehicle cut the power to one side, can't remember which one.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:07 PM
GumbyRT
Captain

If they both went out at the same time, I’d start by checking the ground circuit. Disconnect either the headlight or the fog lamp. Connect a test light to B+ and touch it to the terminal that matches up with the black wire in the connector. If the light comes on, the ground circuit is good. If it doesn’t, there’s a break in the wire that needs to be repaired.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Lighting Malfunction!!