Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2010 Dodge Caravan TPMS reset

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 07:23 PM
Digger 89L
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Dodge Caravan TPMS reset

The Tire Pressure Monitor System warning light came on. Checked all the tires ...they are at the correct pressure (36). Had my friendly dealer scan each wheel sensor ...they are all working. Even he doesn't know where a 'reset button' might be. Any suggestion on how to turn off the non-flashing warning light? The best solution I've come up with so far is a half-inch square of black electrical tap.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:30 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

clear it with the scan tool.
you should be setting the tire pressure to at least 2 psi higher than the placard setting. if set right on the placard number temp drops will drop the pressure enough to turn the light on.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:02 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 64 Likes on 61 Posts

If it’s not blinking then it’s not a system fault, so do as primem suggests and increase the tire pressures by a couple of pounds. Make sure to set them in the morning after the temperature in each tire has been stabilized after sitting overnight. A 12* difference in temp accounts for approximately 1 psi in change, so cold tire temps will be drastically different if the pressures are set on a hot afternoon, especially after driving.

I’m not aware of any spare tires that were factory equipped with sensors, but it could be worth it to make sure your spare doesn’t have one by inflating it to the proper pressure.

Dodge/Chrysler sensors are self learning- they should transmit pressures after a few miles above 15 mph. Tire repairs/rotations do not require a reset. You should only need a scan tool if one of the sensors has been replaced and even then it’s not necessary if the old sensor has been cloned.

The only other possibility I can think of is the instrument cluster might be having issues and it’s keeping the light on even though the tire pressures are good. However it’s been my experience that cluster issues rarely result with a single fault like this and will usually have multiple problems.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:21 AM
Digger 89L
Amateur

Thanks for the input, guys. My dealer did try to clear the fault with his Snap-On scan tool. No luck. Would a battery disconnect for a few hours do that same thing? I will check the spare to see if there's a sensor there ...good tip. And I will fiddle with the inflation pressures (again) ....we have had a couple of really cool days here in the past couple of weeks. I'll report back on progress, if any. So ....there's no 'actual' reset button ...as on some other Dodge vehicles??

Old 09-04-2019, 10:34 AM
primem
Record Breaker

there is no reset on any dodge vehicle I have worked on. Where have you seen a reset button?

Old 09-04-2019, 04:51 PM
Digger 89L
Amateur

Almost EVERY YouTube article on this issue (for Dodge vehicles included) advises to "push the re-set button, usually located under the steering column" ...but none of them say specifically where it is. Even the MOPAR posts say to do this ......

Old 09-04-2019, 07:52 PM
primem
Record Breaker

i have worked for dodge for 4 years and gm for 10....this is the first I have ever heard of such a thing. post a link...I gotta see this.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:53 AM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 64 Likes on 61 Posts

I’ve seen reset buttons on the Pontiac Vibe and some Toyota’s (GM’s partner in developing the Vibe) but even then they’re few and far between.

GM, Ford, Nissan, Honda, etc - almost all the major manufacturers have specific reset sequences for their sensors that utilizes an activation tool, but every Dodge/Chrysler I’ve encountered has been self-learning as long as the sensor ID code is registered with the module - at my shop this ranges from sedans to trucks.

One other thing that occurred to me- it might be worth it to have a shop read the live data from the sensors. I’ve seen sensors that test good for transmitting a signal and have good battery life, but had to be replaced due to transmitting the wrong pressure. I can’t say this is true for all Dodge/Chrysler vans, but the sensors on my 16 GC are calibrated for a range of 36-40 psi. It’s possible the sensors on your van have a good battery and signal, but for some reason are transmitting the wrong pressure.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:58 PM
Digger 89L
Amateur

Well ...here's one example of a Chrysler Dealer talking about a reset button ....and there are plenty more. I don't have time to link them all ....
https://www.santacruzdodge.com/reset...ressure-light/

Old 09-05-2019, 10:22 PM
primem
Record Breaker

notice there is no mention of a model or year. You can't find it on your 2010 caravan because its not built with it. if the problem is just low pressure...you can top it up and drive it until the sensor updates...the light would go off itself after it updates. to bad the dealer with the snap on scan tool didn't give you the fault code.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2010 Dodge Caravan TPMS reset