Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Non recognition of transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 02:19 PM
jhinds6056
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non recognition of transmission

I just replaced the transmission in my 2010 Caravan. Everything is back in and hooked up. Also put a new starter in it. Everything peripheral works that is electrical. It will not start, nothing. I am not getting signal to the starter. Throwing no codes on my little scanner. The only thing I can determine is that the shift selector does not light up in the selector read out. In other words, it does not light up in Park, Neutral or any other position. I think it is down to a sensor on the transmission. Specifically does anyone know what the Transmission Range Sensor does, Part no. Part Number: 04659676AC. I think I have the gear selector hooked up in the same marks as the old transmission and seems to work perfectly. Park goes all the way up. I'm missing something. Any Ideas?

Old 09-13-2019, 06:48 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

The range sensor tells the PCM which gear is selected and also has the park/neutral safety switch.

Did you replace the trans with new, reman or used? Did you swap any parts in the process? Some things to check (this is general advice and may not apply to everything - I’d have to look at specifics for your van to give you more direction)

1) Try pushing/pulling on the gear shifter while holding the key in the crank position.

2) If the shifter has an adjustable linkage, try setting it in neutral instead of park.

3) Verify all connectors for the transmission are fully seated - sometimes the weather seals can prevent them from seating properly and actually push them back.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Non recognition of transmission