Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Dodge Grand Caravan Clock Spring Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019 | 01:59 PM
Vikingtu
|
Amateur
Default Dodge Grand Caravan Clock Spring Replacement

Hi, The question I am asking I already asked on the Chrysler site but I wanted to see if anyone over her had any thoughts. "My thanks to Rebel59." I have a 00 Dodge Grand Caravan and a 00 Chrysler Town and Country. They are basically the same car. The question I have is in regard to the clock spring. These parts are interchangeable between the Dodge and Chrysler. My Chrysler vans has a clock spring with radio controls, cruise controls, horn, air bag. The cruise control and radio controls don't work at all. Rather than buying the expensive clock spring can I buy the basic clock spring (horn and air bag)? the unit is the same in size. Each model has the same heavy wire lead for the air bag and a smaller lead for the horn. Two of the other clock springs have leads for the cruise control and the most expensive has an additional lead for radio controls. The radio leads are not hooked up and the cruise control is broken so my thought is just get the less expensive clock spring. The car is dying anyway. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2019 | 04:50 PM
georgef
Veteran

Check with your dealer, there is a lifetime warranty on the 1998-2000 T&C clockspring.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2000/C...DR/FWD#recalls
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE CLOCKSPRING ASSEMBLY ON ALL COVERED VEHICLES WITH 70,000 MILES OR LESS. FOR THOSE VEHICLES WITH MORE THAN 70,000 MILES, DAIMLERCHRYSLER WILL OFFER AN EXTENDED LIFETIME WARRANTY UNDER WHICH IT WILL REPLACE THE CLOCKSPRING AT NO CHARGE IF IT FAILS. DAIMLERCHRYSLER WILL ALSO REIMBURSE OWNERS WHO HAVE PAID TO HAVE THE CLOCKSPRING REPLACED ON THEIR VEHICLES. THE RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 12, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Old 10-21-2019 | 05:05 PM
Vikingtu
|
Amateur

Thanks so much, George. I will call and post what I find out. Thanks again.

Old 10-21-2019 | 05:21 PM
Vikingtu
|
Amateur

Just called Chrysler. Unfortunately this car and my Dodge Caravan which has the exact same issue are not covered because they did not come of the plants that had the defective clock springs. Thanks for the help! Funny both cars have broken clock springs within a month of each other.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Dodge Grand Caravan Clock Spring Replacement