Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Oil Filter Housing Leaking - 2017 Grand Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 09:42 AM
Patsy D.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filter Housing Leaking - 2017 Grand Caravan

Bought my 2017 Grand Caravan SXT last month with 54,100 miles on it. Last week noticed some oil on the concrete where I parked and took it to a local mechanic. Was advised it was in the oil filter housing and should be covered under the warranty (had 55,209 miles by then) so off the the Dodge dealership I go. Two days later drove away repaired and no charge (thankfully). However, the experience has left me feeling less confience driving my van.....never had a major repair on a vehicle with low mileage before.

Maybe, I'm posting this reaching out for positive comments...not sure! I drive often from NC to Florida and need to have confience in my ride. Did ask the Service Manager at Dodge was this a usual repair and he kinda blew me off with it's just wear and tear. I did the the limited powertrain lifetime warranty with my purchase (came with it didn't pay extra).

So, fellow Grand Caravan owners.... does my recent repair sound familar?

Thanks,

Patsy

Old 11-20-2019, 10:11 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

What engine? If it's the 3.6, the oil filter housings are prone to cracking from over tightening (it's plastic), or the o-ring could have been damaged, etc.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:41 AM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsy D.
Bought my 2017 Grand Caravan SXT last month with 54,100 miles on it. Last week noticed some oil on the concrete where I parked and took it to a local mechanic. Was advised it was in the oil filter housing and should be covered under the warranty (had 55,209 miles by then) so off the the Dodge dealership I go. Two days later drove away repaired and no charge (thankfully). However, the experience has left me feeling less confience driving my van.....never had a major repair on a vehicle with low mileage before.

Maybe, I'm posting this reaching out for positive comments...not sure! I drive often from NC to Florida and need to have confience in my ride. Did ask the Service Manager at Dodge was this a usual repair and he kinda blew me off with it's just wear and tear. I did the the limited powertrain lifetime warranty with my purchase (came with it didn't pay extra).

So, fellow Grand Caravan owners.... does my recent repair sound familar?

Thanks,

Patsy
I change my own oil on my 2018 and each filter comes with a new O-ring for the housing. Whoever has been changing the oil probably hasn't been changing the O-ring. It's not a sign of trouble, just lazy service people.

The reason I do all my own service work is because I once caught a mechanic at Dobbs in Fenton Missouri filling my brake fluid to the cap. This causes the brakes to drag, the disks to warp, and the caliper to fail early. They figured I would come back to them for a brake job soon. It may just be they were hoping to "fix the oil leak" that they were causing for the previous owner. Perhaps the previous owner traded it in because of an oil leak on too new of a van to have problems. It happens. I got my wife a Jeep dirt cheap because it was hemorrhaging oil from the oil pan. We got a hell of a deal for 4 hours worth of work on my part. I guarantee that the oil pan didn't leave the factory leaking that much oil for 8 years before my wife bought it. I would bet that a mechanic tightened a bolt in and back out on the corner it was leaking because it breaks the seal then opens it to leak.

Moral of the story, always inspect your vehicle before and after service if you aren't doing it yourself.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:42 PM
Patsy D.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have the 3.6L engine. Learned a LOT....thanks Guys!!! The plastic O-ring is new information and will keep it in mind for any oil changes in the future. As I do NOTHING for maintenance and repair am in hopes of finding a local mechanic to keep my van in good running condition.

Need to understand just what the limited powertrain warranty is good for in the future as I understand any repair to use this warranty has to be preformed by a Dodge dealership.

Again....thanks Guys!! I do so much want to feel good and confident about this purchase.

Patsy

Old 11-20-2019, 03:34 PM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsy D.
I do have the 3.6L engine. Learned a LOT....thanks Guys!!! The plastic O-ring is new information and will keep it in mind for any oil changes in the future. As I do NOTHING for maintenance and repair am in hopes of finding a local mechanic to keep my van in good running condition.

Need to understand just what the limited powertrain warranty is good for in the future as I understand any repair to use this warranty has to be preformed by a Dodge dealership.

Again....thanks Guys!! I do so much want to feel good and confident about this purchase.

Patsy
A power train warranty covers all the parts of the engine and transmission that have failed likely from defect. The warranty obviously does not include the body or interior cabin parts; it rarely covers an accessory which is the parts run by the serpentine belt such as the alternator, power steering, and A/C compressor; it rarely covers the power steering rack; it never covers the A/C system; it rarely covers the heater coil, but may cover the radiator; and it sometimes covers drive axles (the shaft from the tranny to the front wheels).

From https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...-coverage.html

POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY COVERAGE

Gas Engines
The cylinder block and all internal parts of gasoline engines, including the intake and exhaust manifolds, the oil and water pump and the supercharger, are covered under your Powertrain Limited Warranty*.

Transmission
The transmission case and all internal parts, including the torque converter, pressure and speed sensors and the transmission range switch, are covered under your Powertrain Limited Warranty.

Drive Systems
The different drive systems and internal parts, including front-wheel drive, all-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive and four-wheel drive, are covered under your Powertrain Limited Warranty.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (11-21-2019)

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Oil Filter Housing Leaking - 2017 Grand Caravan