Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: P0755

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 12:25 PM
teets.18
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default P0755

2012 Grand Caravan SXT. Trans won't up-shift while driving. Have a CEL and code "P0755 2-4 or 2C Solenoid Circuit". Parts to be replaced are: trans solenoid, pressure transducer, variable force solenoid, and trans filter will be changed, however there is a little black seal on the 2-4 circuit (5078864AA). Does anyone know if this seal is a common failure point? The seal was overlooked during parts purchasing and turns out that it will take a couple of days to get, and I am leaning that it may be a maintenance item and not a critical part, but am not sure about that. It is on the circuit that has a failure. It seems better to just have it replaced, like replacing a waterpump & pulleys while doing a timing belt, but we need the van back as soon as possible, and the part just looks like a simple plug. Any thoughts?

Last edited by teets.18; 01-26-2020 at 12:52 PM. Reason: accuracy
Old 01-27-2020, 08:57 AM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

If you're getting your transmission repaired you need to get your low drum replaced with Mopar 62te low drum kit which has the updated low drum with non rotational rings if not you risk of having transmission problems again with a no reverse condition which is a common problem with 62te . I'm not sure when Chrysler went to the updated low drum but 2015, 2016 and maybe 2017 still had the old style low drum. In the Mopar low drum update kit includes all gasket and seal any that seal should be replaced because if it fails you'll lose 2-4 gear.

The following users liked this post:
teets.18 (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 09:51 PM
teets.18
Professional

All of the parts were put in, plus the seal being debated earlier, and the trans filter was changed.
Afterwards, 4 quarts were put in and allowed to cycle through for more than several minutes, and mowed through the R, N, D gears, and fluid level seems ok for the temperature.
Now, the van doesn't want to travel in reverse or drive without a lot of gas.
Questions: Do the 5th gens need flashed afterwards? Or, are the solenoids just plug n play?
Could this be a fluid level issue, maybe 1.5 qts low?

Old 01-28-2020, 08:35 AM
Mopar340
Veteran

Originally Posted by *****.18
All of the parts were put in, plus the seal being debated earlier, and the trans filter was changed.
Afterwards, 4 quarts were put in and allowed to cycle through for more than several minutes, and mowed through the R, N, D gears, and fluid level seems ok for the temperature.
Now, the van doesn't want to travel in reverse or drive without a lot of gas.
Questions: Do the 5th gens need flashed afterwards? Or, are the solenoids just plug n play?
Could this be a fluid level issue, maybe 1.5 qts low?
Don't know what they did to your transmission but a complete rebuild you need a dry fill of the transmission fluid and the 62te hold 9 quarts of ATF+4. A reliable transmission shop would reflash the transmission to make sure it has all the latest update. Hopefully you got some kind of warranty cause I'd be back there for them to fix it right. I'd specifically asked them if they replaced the low drum with the updated version because sound like this could be issues with that particular piece. I know a few people that got their Grand Caravan transmission rebuilt and they never had any issues the low drum is used for reverse and also as the launch gear in forward.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:00 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

...and fluid level seems ok for the temperature...
Was the fluid level checked with the engine running? If not it could be low on fluid.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:27 PM
teets.18
Professional

Originally Posted by georgef
Was the fluid level checked with the engine running? If not it could be low on fluid.
Fluid level was checked with engine running and in neutral.
The van is at a transmission shop right now. It actually smoothed out while it was being driven there ,but acted up for the technician the next morning and diagnostics showed a loss of internal pressure, so they told me $3500 to rebuild it.
They said it would come with all the updates, and U asked for a new cooler too. What else should I ask for while they are in there? 2012 with 113k.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:49 AM
Mopar340
Veteran

Fluid level was checked with engine running and in neutral.
The van is at a transmission shop right now. It actually smoothed out while it was being driven there ,but acted up for the technician the next morning and diagnostics showed a loss of internal pressure, so they told me $3500 to rebuild it.
They said it would come with all the updates, and U asked for a new cooler too. What else should I ask for while they are in there? 2012 with 113k.
New torque converter they've been know to fail causing debris to clog the filter resulting in hydraulic pressure loss. A tip I received from a mechanic and checked with transmission shops and they do it also is depending where you live if they use a lot of road salt in the winter is to remove the transmission shield in front of solenoid pack as it will hold the moisture and corrode the front cover of your transmission.

The following users liked this post:
teets.18 (01-30-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 08:14 PM
teets.18
Professional

Good idea about the "sound dampening material" being left off. It was left off in order to keep any leaks from being absorbed, and therefore hidden, but the reason that you stated would have never come to mind until it had been too late.

Old 02-12-2020, 05:13 PM
teets.18
Professional

UPDATE: I got the van back and the wife has been driving it and she says it's been shifting smooth and great. The shop told me I didn't need a new cooler because it shouldn't be plugged, the service manager said. I don't think it was tested, but the transmission was pressure tested, so maybe the cooler was tested. I went with his advice and didn't get a new cooler. Today, I noticed there is a leak at the area where the two trans pans meet together, the filter pan, and the valve body pan. They used grey RTV. The vale body pan calls for 50 inch lbs, and they are, the filter pan calls for 105 inch lbs, but they are at 50 inch lbs. Should I tighten them to 105 inch lbs?
I have not called them to tell them yet; I wanted to come to you guys to get some advice first on what to do and ask for. One thing I want to say is before the trans was rebuilt and all this trouble started, I noticed trans fluid on top of the coolant overflow cap, as if trans fluid is getting up high in the engine bay and this has me with a bug in my head thinking the cooler could be clogged causing a line to leak? But, that could have been due to a problem the rebuilt fixed, or one that's lingering somewhere else causing the new leak at the pan. See the bug?
Any advice please? Thank you.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:05 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Take it back to the shop and tell them it’s leaking. You don’t want to hassle over the warranty on a transmission you just paid $3500 to rebuild and if you mention anything about checking the torque on the bolts - harmless as that seems - that could be grounds for them to try and deny service.

Yes, it’s a headache, but it prevents you from paying for further repairs on something that shouldn’t already need them.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: P0755