Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Gauges are a spazzing out on dash( gas, odometer, elect.)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 01:17 PM
Jennifer Bowman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauges are a spazzing out on dash( gas, odometer, elect.)

I have a 2006 Dodge Caravan. A few weeks ago my dash gauges started flicking. Kinda jumping like so. My interior lights flicker and radio even cuts on and off. The alternator is new. Just replaced back in November. And my battery is 100%. Its showing no service light's or giving any codes. It actually runs fantastic except for the jumpy gauges and radio flicking on and off. Today I noticed if I have my ac on wide open just air not necessarily the ac it doesn't jump...so odd.
then I also noticed its very wet on the passenger side front flooring. I got up as much water as possible and have a fan on it as I speak. I am so confused. These actually may be two separate issues. Thanks so much in advance.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:35 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Check ground point G200 - it’s under the dash on the driver side - the instrument cluster, radio, and HVAC all ground at that location. Make sure it’s tight and clean or repair corroded wiring if needed.

Water on the passenger floor board could be due to a clogged drain for the HVAC case. I’m not sure exactly where it should be but if you find the evaporator lines where they pass through the firewall, it should be almost straight down from there where the firewall starts curving back towards the rear. It’s a tube that’s either rubber or plastic and points down. Use a length of wire or a small piece of dowel (a chop stick for instance) to reach inside the drain. If water immediately starts running out, the drain is clogged and I recommend pulling the blower motor and/or cabin air filter to clean it. Access will be very limited but it’s a start.

If the drain is clean, it’s possible the windshield seal is leaking.

The following users liked this post:
Jennifer Bowman (02-29-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 07:31 PM
Jennifer Bowman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GumbyRT
Check ground point G200 - it’s under the dash on the driver side - the instrument cluster, radio, and HVAC all ground at that location. Make sure it’s tight and clean or repair corroded wiring if needed.

Water on the passenger floor board could be due to a clogged drain for the HVAC case. I’m not sure exactly where it should be but if you find the evaporator lines where they pass through the firewall, it should be almost straight down from there where the firewall starts curving back towards the rear. It’s a tube that’s either rubber or plastic and points down. Use a length of wire or a small piece of dowel (a chop stick for instance) to reach inside the drain. If water immediately starts running out, the drain is clogged and I recommend pulling the blower motor and/or cabin air filter to clean it. Access will be very limited but it’s a start.

If the drain is clean, it’s possible the windshield seal is leaking.
Can you help me find a good diagram of that G200?
Dodge Caravan 2006 SXT

Also thank you so much for the advice. I am at my wits with this thing. Greatly appreciated.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:35 PM
GumbyRT
Captain

I didn’t have much luck finding a diagram, but it’s under the driver side of the dash, near the parking brake. It will help to remove the knee bolster (trim piece under the steering column) and possibly the kick panel (trim piece on the left side door of the driver foot well). You’re looking for multiple black and/or black and white wires that connect to an eyelet which is bolted to either the body behind the kick panel or the framework that supports the dash.

A good flashlight will help - usually these ground points aren’t hidden - you should be able to see it without removing anything else but the knee bolster and kick panel.

I’ll try to get a pic of the same ground point on our 2016 GC for you tomorrow- it may be newer but the location of a ground point rarely changes (the exact location may be different but it will still be in the same area).

Old 03-03-2020, 10:46 PM
GumbyRT
Captain

Here’s a picture of G200 on my van - it’s almost directly above the brake pedal.

If it’s not in this same area/bracket on your van, look for a similar bundle of wires that’s attached to the wall of the cabin above the parking brake.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Gauges are a spazzing out on dash( gas, odometer, elect.)